Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

gutted airbox vs. APC cone filter (track results)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gutted airbox vs. APC cone filter (track results)

I know this is probably redundant, but here is goes anyways.

Went to the track last night, and although the track was SHIT (was cold, wasn't sprayed, and was dirty.. everyone was spinning their tires off the line) but I have some results!

Stock airbox with new $10 filter (the snorkel part removed) VS. APC cone filter attached to stock airhose, and no IAT attached. Stock 1988 Grand Prix, 2.8L V6 (with 1989 airbox conversion). No other mods.

Keep in mind that I was losing on average about 4 tens of a second due to poor traction.. I should be around 18 flat or lower now. My 1/8 mile was really poor compared to last time in the summer.

Stock airbox- with just me in the car, I was getting around 18.3. With my gf riding with me I was getting consistant times of 18.6

Cone filter attached to stock hose (IAT not attached.. shouldn't really matter though) - 18.6 was about the best I got, some were much higher.
    With my gf riding with me I was getting POOR times, again a couple tenths of a second slower vs. stock airbox. At one time I even got 19 seconds with her in the car, a very poor time.

And NO my gf is not heavy, my car is stock and slow. I have the time slips but I'm not gonna scan them cause why bother. I'll probably go to the track again when it gets a little warmer out, one last time with the GP. I'll take out my spare tire and junk (subwoofer box) so I can get sub-18s, and even more accurate results.

I'd get rid of the GF! Just kiddin'. I built my own cold air intake. Works great! Gained HP. Don't know how much, but, it does work Most of the stuff came fom Lowes. Had to take air from the foglight openings. Really pretty easy if you have any welding experience., and a little mechanical aptitude. You have to make collectors. Made them the same shape as the foglight openings. Mounts the same. I found that 2 1/2 " aluminum flex pipe works best after that. Also will tie in with the PVC fittings you need.You also have to have a splitter valve to go back to stock in case of rain. It will suck water like a Kirby.Total cost was about $40. Except the KN filter. Unfortunately I can't do pics cause I don't have a digital cam. I can send pics E Mail though.
    If you are driving a Chevy, everything else, is just a blur. 3.4 Carbon Footprint.
    sigpic

Comment

you want an even better time? Try running without the GF, and have a STOCK airbox WITH the snorkle. It just might suprise you.

(I dynoed my car with the stock airbox, and with a cone. The cone gave me 6 HP, but I lost 22 TQ. With the cone, it was also set up in such a way that the dyno run had better conditions than the car would ever see on the road, so I know that there is no way that it was just a sucky run. I had the cone isolated from the engine with a smooth metal duct, and a shop AC blowing directly into it).
      Taylor
      1988 Olds Cutlass Supreme 3100 MPFI
      1990 Pontiac Grand Prix STE 3.1 MPFI
      1994 Olds Cutlass Supreme convertible
      1998 Lincoln Mark VIII
      "find something simple and complicate it"

Comment

Well as I said that day I was getting 18.3's without my gf in the car with the box. I don't however have the snorkle, cause it didn't fit properly into the back of the lights. I just have the box no brackets or anything. It's just kinda sitting on top of everything.

I like on the 97+ Regal and GP how you can just pop the headlight out, excellent ram air right there.

I might take my car out for the last time after I change the tranny pan gasket (stupid cork), and when the weather and track are good. Just wanna see if I can get into the 17s again. After that I'll wait till I get a better car.

Comment

When you take out the headlight, there is a little plastic shroud right in the opening. Take it out. When you do, the snorkle with fit just fine. The shroud is held on with 2 7mm screws. The shroud was only used on the cars that got the round airbox. If you take it out, the airbox will fit in just fine with the snorkle still attached. I am willing to bet paper money that with the COMPLETE stock airbox, you will most likely hit the 17's.
          Taylor
          1998 Lincoln Mark VIII

Comment

I see... I'm not sure if I held onto that part.. might have to hit up the boneyard.

Comment

I'll bet paper money AND electronic money!
              Brian

'95 Cutlass Supreme- "The Rig"
              3400 SFI V6, 4T60e
              Comp Cam grind, LS6 valve springs, OBD2 swap, Tuned
              2.5" DP/ 2.5" dual exh/ Magnaflow Cat/ crap mufflers/ 3500 Intake manifold/ 65mm TB
              TGP steering Rack/ 34mm Sway Bar/Vert STB/ KYB GR2's

'08 Chevy Trailblazer SWB 1LT "Smart Package"- LH6 5.3L V8/4L60e, A4WD

Comment

Heay, Brian..... Care to make a friendly wager????? I bet lunch at Boston Market that if he puts in the stock airbox, he will hit in the 17's?

Ya game?
                Taylor
                1998 Lincoln Mark VIII

Comment

no thanks, I've got better places to eat!
                  Brian

'95 Cutlass Supreme- "The Rig"
                  3400 SFI V6, 4T60e
                  Comp Cam grind, LS6 valve springs, OBD2 swap, Tuned
                  2.5" DP/ 2.5" dual exh/ Magnaflow Cat/ crap mufflers/ 3500 Intake manifold/ 65mm TB
                  TGP steering Rack/ 34mm Sway Bar/Vert STB/ KYB GR2's

'08 Chevy Trailblazer SWB 1LT "Smart Package"- LH6 5.3L V8/4L60e, A4WD

Comment

3 words, furnace air filter. I ran this for abotu two years on one car. I cut the top of my beretta's IAT-style airbox and set it up so it was totally opened up, the top piece was only about an inch tall, basically just a ring.

I ran the normal filter at first, that was the point of this setup. then, one day at home depot, I noticed that furnace air filter element is dirt cheap and high flow. So, I took the element and doubled it in thickness due to it being very see-thru. Doubled up, it actually collects a LOT of dirt. So, it defenitely filters.

But, the flowrate of this stuff is impressive. A paper filter probably flows 10x or more worse than this material, which is one of the good reasons for using it. And also, it is extremely cheap and versatile.

It is basically the next best thing from running an open, unfiltered intake.

-Dave
                    If I seem Crazy it is because, I am insane. No lie. Ask my psychiatrist. But, i have good intentions. sometimes.

Comment

NICE! I got a bunch of furnace filters just layin' up in the attic since they changed mine! Gonna try it right now!
                      If you are driving a Chevy, everything else, is just a blur. 3.4 Carbon Footprint.
                      sigpic

Comment

I might actually try that, since my car is old and I don't plan on using it for more than half a year if I get a damn job.

Comment

Make sure to use a screen so strands of element do not come out. Also, Just so noone messes up, I am not talking any kind of foam element, just the stranded blue stuff.

Adversely though, you suck in hotter air from the engine bay as opposed to colder air from the snorkel. If you have the round style airbox, try blocking the bottom and putting your element on top.

Watch out for filter "hot" spots, your homade filter is going to get dirtiest in one place. Make sure the strands of element do not start to seperate too much around this "hot" spot.

I am looking into filter additives. IE: spray on materials that can be used like what K&N does with the oil. I figured silicon spray or mineral oil or something may be a helpful addition to filtration.

I am still looking into this though. It's hard to really compare different methods accurately.

-Dave
                          If I seem Crazy it is because, I am insane. No lie. Ask my psychiatrist. But, i have good intentions. sometimes.

Comment

Square drop in can't be too hard to make. Use duct tape where nessesary
                            I never paid much attention to furance filters.. what material are they made of? K&N are cotton, so a spray would have to be able to absorb in it and not destroy it.

Comment

just so you know, my friends stock kia rio is faster than you
                              26+6=1

Comment

Working...
                              X