Minimum requirement to get DIS to work in 3.4L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minimum requirement to get DIS to work in 3.4L

I searched the forums and I've seen the wiring diagrams on the DIS on other posts, but would ask someone with specific transplant experience - what is minimally required to get the DIS to work in a transplant? I am sourcing the parts for an MGB transplant and am considering options. If I wanted to retain the DIS from the Camaro 3.4, what would I need to capture from the donor car and what is required to get it to work?

If this question was asked in another post I couldn't find it and apologizefor re-asking

You need an ECM, Module, Coil packs and a crank sensor. You need a knock sensor too but that is not required to actually make it run. But you do need it unless you reprogram the ECM to ignore it there is also a knock sensor module associated with it.
    1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
    1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
    Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

wow, so at that point I might as well keep the fuel injection too...

I was planning on going Carb'd to avoid that level of complexity. Back to the idea of a dizzy I guess.

Thanks,
      Paul

Comment

if ur going to carb,just drop in a dizzy
        #1 1989 RS - THE L98 AND LT1/LS1 KILLER
        1LE SUSPENSION AND BRAKE SWAP,3.1L V6 8.5-1 CR, LIGHTENED CRANK,KB COATED PISTONS, CUSTOM 268/272 DUR CAM, CNC'ED HEADS, PORTED INTAKE,CUSTOM TURBO KIT W/ 67MM TURBO(AKA TO4R/Z) 28 PSI, TCI STREETFIGHTER 700R4 W/ TCI 4,500 STALL,ALL RUN BY A MEGASQUIRT ENGINE MANAGEMENT SYSTEM

#2 95 granprix 3100 all stock for now
        ported heads and cam comming soon, megasquirt ems and turbo down the road

Comment

Yeah, Betterthanyou suggested the 82-84 dizzy out of an S10 for size and ease of installation. I haven't looked at one yet, does it at least have some sort of hall effect pickup or is it points and condenser type?

Comment

Agreed. A dizzy will fit in the oil pump drive hole at the back of the engine with a carb manifold.
            Links:
            WOT-Tech.com
            FaceBook
            Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by pbsch@aol.com View Post
              Yeah, Betterthanyou suggested the 82-84 dizzy out of an S10 for size and ease of installation. I haven't looked at one yet, does it at least have some sort of hall effect pickup or is it points and condenser type?
              It is an HEI distributor. Is a a solid state module triggered by a magnetic pickup. No points and condenser. Its not that low tech. It is a clone of any small block HEI distributor you would find just smaller and with a remote coil.

Comment

I guess the next question would be... does anyone have one laying around they don't want/need anymore? PM me off list with your price/terms.

I checked the classifieds and didn't see any.

thanks, Paul

Comment

I have a distributor from my 3.1 that I can't use with the 3500 top end. I'll sell it with the new cap/rotor and the coil (if I can locate it) for $20 shipped.
                  Links:
                  WOT-Tech.com
                  FaceBook
                  Instagram

Comment

That one wont work without and ECM either. Well it would "work" but it would have no advance system. You need a pre 86 distributor with mechanical and vacuum advance.

Comment

Originally posted by betterthanyou View Post
                      That one wont work without and ECM either. Well it would "work" but it would have no advance system. You need a pre 86 distributor with mechanical and vacuum advance.
                      Ah, you're right, I didn't think about that.
                      Links:
                      WOT-Tech.com
                      FaceBook
                      Instagram

Comment

Working...
                      X