No announcement yet.

2.8 "Best Upgrades" from a Pic N Pull??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.8 "Best Upgrades" from a Pic N Pull??

Hello ... I'm gonna rebuild my 1990 Trooper's 2.8 and need to know which PNP parts would be the best to start with? There are so... many 3.4's that I need an expert's input knowing which aluminum heads are the best choice and matching manifolds. Currently I have TBI and hope to convert to MPI or SFI w/ 6 individual injectors if possible? With D port heads Good rocker arms as OEM what do I look for or is there a certain model 3.4/3400 that would bolt in after a rebuild? So please help -- every trip to the PNP I'm overwhelmed with the number of 60* V6's so without knowledgeable guidance I don't know where to start!! There is so much talk about great aluminum heads and certain UIM/LIM pieces, so please help me pick & build the "Best I can Build" Thanks again Gary

Well you can do an aluminum head conversion if you really want. But be aware of the cost involved and all the complexities that come with it. But your best start there would be a 3400 or 3500 motor. I would stick with the FWD block since you will just have to modify or make 1 mount and wont have to move the starter. These engines are really good so there is nothing to pull from other cars.

If you want to rebuild and improve your 2.8L then you should start with a 3.1L Crank to increase displacement and then grab a 3.4L DOHC windage tray.
    1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
    1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
    Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

Hello ... What complexities are you thinking of and what cost ?

A complete aluminum top-end will cost less than $150. and I have a complete machine shop on premise. I'd just like to start with the best heads & manifolds since the cost will be the same! Thanks for the input - Gary

PS I prefer the 2.8 short stroke crank assembly for my build plan!

Comment

For a heavy Trooper you want the short stroke? I hope you don't regret your decision later.

For cost effectiveness I would jump right to a 3400 motor if you are after the good stuff. It comes with a roller cam, better oiling system and a better pump with a 3/4" pickup (you will need the pickup tube from a 3.1l rodeo) Something will have to be done with the engine mount on the passenger side I believe. But a machine shop will solve that. You will need exhaust manifolds or headers to work in RWD configuration. You will need to reverse the intake manifold to face forward. Also solve the coolant hose issues. Switching to the 3.4L Camaro accessory drive may be your best option to clear the throttle body. Then once you solve all the physical differences under the hood you will need to re wire the engine bay for the 3400 ECM or use an older OBD I system its your choice really. Programming should not be necessary if you stick with the 3400 ECM but you will need to adjust it so it wont hunt for the automatic trans. Forced Firebird has been at work on a RWD GEN III for a bit so he can provide more in's and out's than I can.
        1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
        1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
        Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

Will the 3400 oil pan clear the frame in a Trooper? That's one of the biggest hangups in the Fbody
          Links:
          WOT-Tech.com
          FaceBook
          Instagram

Comment

Hello there! I'm currently the only one with a SFI 3.4L Trooper, and I welcome you to join my elitist ranks.

I have the iron heads on mine though, but I would LOVE to see a FWD swap or at least an aluminum head hybrid dropped into a Trooper. I even bought a 3400 top end and pistons to install in mine, but I need another block to work on.

I have a FWD swap brainstorming thread around here somewhere...
            '98 Volvo V90 - Ford 5.0 swap in progress
            '96 LR Range Rover 4.6 HSE - suspiciously reliable
            '92 Volvo 740 Wagon - former parts car, now daily-driver beater
            '71 Opel Kadett Wagon - 1.9L CIH w/ Weber DGV 32/36, in bits

Comment

Here it is: http://60degreev6.com/forum/f109/350...per-rwd-t42329

If you have a machine shop, I say drop in a 3400. You will need to modify the left motor mount and modify the 3400 aluminum oil pan to emulate the 4x4 steel oil pan (for clearance of the front axle).

Have any pics of your Trooper?

Here is my hack job, hoist on it when I was replacing the clutch and tranny:

Comment

Sorry for the thread hyjack

After reading a few posts on here by you canyon I had to join. I am currently researching swaps for my 90 troop I think you and I need to chat haha. I am going to try to attach some pics of my "PUMPKIN"
                Attached Files

Comment

PM sent
                  Lifting my front wheels, one jack at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by NDGixxerK7 View Post
                    After reading a few posts on here by you canyon I had to join. I am currently researching swaps for my 90 troop I think you and I need to chat haha. I am going to try to attach some pics of my "PUMPKIN"
                    Nice to see a 1st Gen cleaned up like that. Mine is totally stock except for the engine and the 31x10.5s on snowflakes (factory option though).

I'm working on new wiring for mine, I hope to have that process written up a little better so there will finally be some more SFI Trooper swaps done out there. I might be getting wiring and an ECU to make up another swap kit if this one works.

Comment

Working...
                    X