Intermittent stalling, driveability problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intermittent stalling, driveability problems

Car is a '91 GP w/ 3.1. I have had my car stall 3 times in the last week. Each time I was moving, not coming to a stop etc. This has happened when warm or cold. The car will stall, it will fire briefly but is very hard to get started. If I do get it started it will surge violently and then eventually it runs fine. Twice when the key was in the "ON" position the radiator fans were turning on and off like a relay was going wild.. Eventually it fires up and runs perfectly. I have checked /cleaned grounds etc. and found that the cable at the alternator was loose, I tightened it up, but the problem remains. Each time this happens it sets a code 14 (coolant temp sensor), 22 (TPS sensor) and a 53 (System over-voltage, ECM over 17.7volts). The alternator is a new Delco replaced about a year ago and the charging system appears to be okay. So what is the problem? ECM bad? Could a coolant temp sensor cause all of this? Any other things I may have overlooked? Any input regarding the diagnosis and repair of this would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks for reading!

ECT sensor should read 3400 ohms at 21*C(70*F)
    TPS should show a voltage of ~.5V at idle and ~5V at WOT
    It should also have a steady 5V refrence signal.
    1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
    1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
    Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

My gfs Sunfire had a bad TCC with similar sounding symptoms, however I never hear this really being a problem with the 4T60(e). Check the IAC if its dirty that was a problem with my car.

Comment

UPDATE I had a bad diode in the alternator and a defective ECM. Car runs excellent, for the moment!

Comment

Working...
        X