95 Grand Am 3100, 293k miles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 95 Grand Am 3100, 293k miles

Yes you heard it right! I just bought a 1995 Grand Am with 293k miles on it for $250 and it needs some work!

I took the valve cover off and noticed that one of the push rods on an intake valve somehow pushed its way up through the rocker arm and is rendering itself useless. I also noticed that there is some coolant in the oil.

I am figuring that the coolant in the oil is coming from a bad intake gasket? Is there a write up or a guide on how to change the intake gasket? Also is there a way to buy a new push rod and rocker arm? Is it even worth it to do this or should I just get a motor from a junk yard and have it put in? The motor is surprisingly in good shape and very clean.

Whatcha think?

old as shit motors don't seem to be a very good investment. JYs will have much better options than to try and revive that ancient 3100.

that and how well was the motor maintained... you wouldn't know, you werent the one that drove it almost 300K miles. but more often than not, those are NOT going to be the only issues with the motor.
    1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
    Latest nAst1 files here!
    Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by robertisaar View Post
      old as shit motors don't seem to be a very good investment. JYs will have much better options than to try and revive that ancient 3100.

that and how well was the motor maintained... you wouldn't know, you werent the one that drove it almost 300K miles. but more often than not, those are NOT going to be the only issues with the motor.
      I believe you have been proved wrong in this instance with the fact that after I replaced the intake gaskets and the pushrod that was bad this motor has since gone another almost 50k miles . Still purrs like a kitten with a cold!

Comment

even if i'm wrong, i'm happy to see another 60V6 stay on the road.
        1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
        Latest nAst1 files here!
        Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Damn straight.. I have seen some knarly looking ones making some crazy a$$ noises before and they just keep chugging along! If only more people knew how long they lasted after the intake gaskets are replaced with the good ones.. The coolant in the oil issue always gives em a bad rap

Comment

I think 2.8,3.1 and the 3.4 motors are awesome myself. I have a 1996 Monte Carlo (3.1) with 254k miles(just changed head gaskets and intake gasket). 1987 Firebird with a 2.8L that has 281k on it and engine and transmission have never been out of the car(I did change the timing chain at 220k) and a 2003 3.4 Impala with 170k on it. While the Firebird uses about a quart every 3 months the Impala and Monte Carlo burn or leak none. Just have to take care of them is all

Comment

Originally posted by Jcdew67 View Post
              I think 2.8,3.1 and the 3.4 motors are awesome myself. I have a 1996 Monte Carlo (3.1) with 254k miles(just changed head gaskets and intake gasket). 1987 Firebird with a 2.8L that has 281k on it and engine and transmission have never been out of the car(I did change the timing chain at 220k) and a 2003 3.4 Impala with 170k on it. While the Firebird uses about a quart every 3 months the Impala and Monte Carlo burn or leak none. Just have to take care of them is all

That was worth a 3 year bump.

Comment

Nice.

Comment

While a post can be old it is never truly "dead" as long as it is relevant otherwise history books would be a waste of time. =P

Comment

Just to prove it, another 3100 is fixing to come back from a LIM failure after sitting in the garage for 2 years!

Ken T.

Comment

Originally posted by Century7667 View Post
                      Just to prove it, another 3100 is fixing to come back from a LIM failure after sitting in the garage for 2 years!

Ken T.
                      I forgot about this post. I did complete the job, and that 3100 purrs like a kitten. Good engine!

Ken T.

Comment

Working...
                      X