92 Pontiac TS SE 3.1 TBI Crank but no start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 92 Pontiac TS SE 3.1 TBI Crank but no start

Our '92 Pontiac Trans Sport SE engine died under full open throttle (kickdown) in traffic without any warning. After I managed to pull out and try to start the van, the engine would turn but not start and the Check Engine Light stays on.

Now I had a mechanic check the fuel pump and it's working only when you put the key but stops when you try to start the engine. I've tried to check for codes but jumping the A and B terminals on the OBD port won't show anything.

Now the shop's electrician have gone through my van and says it's an ignition/Ignition Control Module problem (he tested the ECM and wires and they checked ok). I have ordered the part but I still have a few questions unanswered:
    1. What else can prevent the car from starting (crank but no start) - faulty crank position sensor, TPS, ECM?
    2. Is there a link between the ignition and fuel delivery system on this engine (3.1 TBI) - a no spark situation causes the fuel delivery system to stop or a problem with the fuel delivery can make the engine's ignition to stop working? On this car both systems don't function when you crank the engine.
    3. Is there a collision switch in the back of this car that can prevent the fuel delivery system from operating (the van was loaded when this happened)?

That whole line of mini-vans is notorious for main harness shorts.

Considering you lost it under hard acceleration I wouldn't doubt it made the harness jerk and finally fail. have him ohm the grounds and power feeds from the engine sensors back to the ecu, most likely you'll find the short at the master plug, located passenger side of the van's engine compartment, about 18" from firewall. Another good indication of how this failed is due to people working on the van, opening the neat little "worthless" plastic clips that secure it to the motor and not re-clipping them. You then find out they ain't useless. Vibration will kill a harness fast.

Also, check and make sure you still have injector pulse. Thats one of the first things to go when an ECU fails.

Fuel pump operation should happen for roughly 2 seconds then stop when you first turn on the key. Then start up again after you start cranking.

How did he go about testing the ECU? What makes him think the ICM is bad? Did he check for crank sensor pulse? Did he check for spark? Did he check for injector pulse? Did he check for computer communication to a scanner, A REAL SCANNER! Snap-on's red brick, Mac, OTC Genesis, etc... not a sun pro cheapy. Did he check and make sure the ALDL connector is working properly? and most important....KISS method...check the fuses?
    Last edited by 95SleeperAcheiva; 06-16-2009, 02:43 PM.
    sigpicHow to make High performance Emissions:
    A "true" High flow converter, straight pipe.
    Low/No flow EGR valve, block off plate.
    Carbon canister and purge valve mod, place in large 30 Gallon can, cover, and place curbside, the city will do the rest.
    PCV valve and vent tube, reroute to exhaust to dump where it belongs, on the ground. Or add breathers and let it all free.

Comment

Problem is finally solved

It was the Ignition Control Module - we changed it and it runs like a champ again.

The ICM "caused" the no fuel pressure and no injector pulse condition also (ECU didn't get it's "reference signal" and didn't activate either one of these systems).

Comment

Problem is finally solved

It was the Ignition Control Module - we changed it and it runs like a champ again.

The ICM "caused" the no fuel pressure while cranking and no injector pulse condition also (ECU didn't get it's "reference signal" from the ICM and didn't activate either one of these systems).

Comment

I wasn't aware the ICM had anything to do with the fuel pump.
          Ben
          60DegreeV6.com
          WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Apparently the ECU cuts the pump if it doesn't get any refference signal from the ICM.

Sincerely I'm glad the mechanic got this right, otherwise I could be still changing parts as we speak...
            Last edited by Meridivs; 07-06-2009, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X