3500 Steel Crank a NO-GO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3500 Steel Crank a NO-GO

Yep, that's right... found out yesterday that the new steel crank that is going into the 3500 with NOT fit into the old style blocks...

The answer is no as we had to make
    modifications to the block for the 3.5 L. The large pin crank made the
    rods bigger which required the block to be modified.

Nick Richards
    GM Powertrain
    This doesn't mean that an older block can't be modified to fit the new crank though. But until someone gets their hands on one, we will never know...
    26+6=1

I guess that means I will have to use the entire 3500 short-block for my next build-up. Darn.

Do we know how much bigger the rods are? It would be nice if they made them the same size as later small block chevy rods. It would widen the selection of aftermarket parts.

Marty
    '99 Z-28 - Weekend Driver
    '98 Dodge Neon - Winter Beater
    '84 X-11 - Time and Money Pit
    '88 Fiero Formula - Bone stock for now

Quote of the week:
    Originally posted by Aaron
    This is why I don't build crappy headers. I'm not sure, I don't know too much about welding.

Comment

I'll see if I can't get that info out of Nick. I was trying to get a Promotion Package from him (similar to the 3.6 DOHC one), but he said GM never produced one for the 3500. It would have been nice to see a few cutaway views of the engine... Oh well, guess we'll just have to wait! :?
      26+6=1

Comment

Would any of this information be useful?

Oh, and just because I think it's kinda neat, here is the engine actually sitting in the Malibu. That engine-alone picture originally posted over at GMF is handy too, but this here could be useful maybe. I dunno. Or at least raise more questions/issues. Such as WTF they decided to setup the airbox the way they did, with the electronics or whatever that is where the airbox normally is on the 3100/3400. Oh, and since the airbox is where it is, the coolant recovery/overflow/whatever is apparently moved. Is that it, between the coils and throttle body, with the brake cylinder to the right of it (right as in driver's side of engine bay)?

And here is the actual engine, all by itself, the mysteriously floating disembodied 3500.

Car insurance is legal discrimination

Comment

You should see if we can get a crank to do testing with brad Id like to know what kind of block mods it would take to work, if it would even be possible. I was hoping that sucker would fit in a DOHC.
          Ben
          60DegreeV6.com
          WOT-Tech.com

Comment

What I want to know is why they changed the top of the intake manifold. It looks like a miniature of our freeways here in L.A. (grooved). Is that purely for aesthetic reasons, or is that functional in some weird ass way?

Car insurance is legal discrimination

Comment

Looks like gen 2 and gen 3 had a kid
              Brian

'95 Cutlass Supreme- "The Rig"
              3400 SFI V6, 4T60e
              Comp Cam grind, LS6 valve springs, OBD2 swap, Tuned
              2.5" DP/ 2.5" dual exh/ Magnaflow Cat/ crap mufflers/ 3500 Intake manifold/ 65mm TB
              TGP steering Rack/ 34mm Sway Bar/Vert STB/ KYB GR2's

'08 Chevy Trailblazer SWB 1LT "Smart Package"- LH6 5.3L V8/4L60e, A4WD

Comment

If anyone remembers the beretta indy car, that plenum looks a lot like it.
                Ben
                60DegreeV6.com
                WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Looks like gen 2 and gen 3 had a kid
                  doesnt it..

damn i want one of those blocks.
                  Colin
                  92 Sunbird GT, 3200 Hybrid 13.99@ 95.22 (2004)
                  90 Eagle Talon TSi AWD 10.54 @ 129mph.

Comment

Originally posted by SappySE107
                    If anyone remembers the beretta indy car, that plenum looks a lot like it.
                    Uhh... not really..... The INDY plenum had a L98 throttlebody on it, and was a bit different... I have a picture of it somewhere around here that i took... I saw the 2 INDY convertible pace cars up close and in person at the INDY2K camaro/indy pace car gathering... they had all the pace cars on display and the chevrolet people there let us thoroughly look under the hood...

that 3500 plenum looks like it attaches just like the 3400 one does (6 bolts)... Infact the lower intake looks exactly the same (when i saw it at the autoshow on a stand)

Cliff Scott
                    89 BerettaGT
                    89 Volvo740

Comment

All i remember from the indy was it was a box type plenum look, which is what the 3500 reminds me of. I didnt say it was identical.
                      Ben
                      60DegreeV6.com
                      WOT-Tech.com

Comment

nobody has said anything about the exhaust manifolds yet. I am the only one to notice that GM actually put a decent manifold on there?

Also, where is the POWER STEERING PUMP????? I see the mounting holes for it, but why did they not put it in the picture? Does the new car have an ELECTRIC POWER STEERING RACK?????
                        Taylor
                        1988 Olds Cutlass Supreme 3100 MPFI
                        1990 Pontiac Grand Prix STE 3.1 MPFI
                        1994 Olds Cutlass Supreme convertible
                        1998 Lincoln Mark VIII
                        "find something simple and complicate it"

Comment

Yes... all 3500 equipped cars come with electric power steering. As far as the exhaust manifolds go, I didn't pay too much attention to them other than seeing an O2 sensor mounted on the front set.
                          26+6=1

Comment

Originally posted by 3100 MPFI
                            nobody has said anything about the exhaust manifolds yet. I am the only one to notice that GM actually put a decent manifold on there?
                            looks a lot like the design of the 3.8's exh manifolds....non-handrail?

Also, where is the POWER STEERING PUMP????? I see the mounting holes for it, but why did they not put it in the picture? Does the new car have an ELECTRIC POWER STEERING RACK?????
                            yeah....
                            Brian

'95 Cutlass Supreme- "The Rig"
                            3400 SFI V6, 4T60e
                            Comp Cam grind, LS6 valve springs, OBD2 swap, Tuned
                            2.5" DP/ 2.5" dual exh/ Magnaflow Cat/ crap mufflers/ 3500 Intake manifold/ 65mm TB
                            TGP steering Rack/ 34mm Sway Bar/Vert STB/ KYB GR2's

'08 Chevy Trailblazer SWB 1LT "Smart Package"- LH6 5.3L V8/4L60e, A4WD

Comment

Originally posted by Rhedalert
                              yeah....
                              I wonder how swappable that is?

Comment

Working...
                              X