No announcement yet.

3500 Steel Crank a NO-GO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The exhaust manifold looks like that because it will have close-coupled cats mounted right to the manifold to reduce light-off times. It would be interesting to see if the manifolds could be used with a more conventional exhaust setup to gain some power.

Marty
    '99 Z-28 - Weekend Driver
    '98 Dodge Neon - Winter Beater
    '84 X-11 - Time and Money Pit
    '88 Fiero Formula - Bone stock for now

Quote of the week:
    Originally posted by Aaron
    This is why I don't build crappy headers. I'm not sure, I don't know too much about welding.

Comment

Sounds to me as if the rods are larger side to side, which means they had to do what anybody does that puts in bigger rods. They added reliefs at the bottom of the block where the rods would normally hit.

Well, i guess that engine would feel right at home in a Fiero... seeings how we dont HAVE power steering.

MWUAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!
      I modify stuff

Comment

You think you are so bad with that fiero dont you:P
        Ben
        60DegreeV6.com
        WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Aww Chris!! "Looks like he'll just have have to learn to tune OBD2" And the middle fingers go aflying!!!
          Lorenzo
          '11 DODGE Challenger R/ T Classic 57M6 Green with Envy "Giant Green Squid"
          '92 PONTIAC Grand Prix SE 34TDCM5 "Red Lobster"

Comment

I modify stuff

Comment

hahahaha! No Use for OBD2!
              Ben
              60DegreeV6.com
              WOT-Tech.com

Comment

No use for waffles!!!
                Brian

'95 Cutlass Supreme- "The Rig"
                3400 SFI V6, 4T60e
                Comp Cam grind, LS6 valve springs, OBD2 swap, Tuned
                2.5" DP/ 2.5" dual exh/ Magnaflow Cat/ crap mufflers/ 3500 Intake manifold/ 65mm TB
                TGP steering Rack/ 34mm Sway Bar/Vert STB/ KYB GR2's

'08 Chevy Trailblazer SWB 1LT "Smart Package"- LH6 5.3L V8/4L60e, A4WD

Comment

Ok, here we go. Just got some info back from GM about the 3500 crank. Here is what they had to say:

The 12577484 steel crankshaft will only fit the block for the LX9 3.5L and
                  future variants. This crankshaft will not fit a small block V8 or 4.3L V6
                  or 3800 V6 totally different architecture. This crank will not fit into
                  3.1L LG8/3L4L LA1 block because there is not enough swing room for the
                  larger (big end) of the connecting rod and with the larger diameter crank
                  pin. HVV6 pin is 57.13 diameter - 3.1L LG8/3L4L LA1 is 50.76 diameter.
                  -Brad-
                  89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
                  sigpic
                  Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

Well several small block and big block owners have to do serious clearance grinding on the block to make hteir stroker cranks work. Couldn't we do the same ot is it just way too big?
                    1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
                    1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
                    Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by betterthanyou
                      Well several small block and big block owners have to do serious clearance grinding on the block to make hteir stroker cranks work. Couldn't we do the same ot is it just way too big?
                      I think were just going to have to wait until someone gets a 3500 crank and trys it in an older block. I'm not so worried about the sides of teh block, but the area below teh cam next to the bores where even stock, with a 3.1 crank in a gen1 or 2 block, this area is very close to the rod.

Comment

You can see a pic of the crank in the 3900 discussion. Its the same crank (AFAIK), so you can see if that helps or not.
                        -Brad-
                        89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
                        sigpic
                        Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

Working...
                        X