01 GA 3400 Crank sensor replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 01 GA 3400 Crank sensor replacement

I am trying to replace the crank sensor thats behind the crank pulley and I cant seem to get the crank pulley bolt off... I have the special puller but I have to remove the bolt in order to use it... Is there any tips you guys can give me on breaking that bolt loose
    Alex (Big Al) Walker

someday GM will pull its collective heads out of their collective asses and listen to us... or go bankru... oops.

Good impact, using the J tool to hold flex plate while busting the bolt loose, or you can pinch the crank pulley with some good vice grips and let it rest against the subframe while you crank the bolt loose.

Impact is fastest.
    Lifting my front wheels, one jack at a time.

Comment

After you get the HB off..don't forget to replace the Harmonic Balancer Timing Cover Seal...and if the outer race of the HB Crank Insert Section cannot be dressed up lightly with some 1600 Grit Wet-Or-Dry sandpaper soaked in 3 and 1 Oil...then wrapped around tightly with a shoe lace to hold it in place and then pulled up an down by the string ends to do the polishing (laces go around the HB race about one and one half times) and then lightly spun to polish the outer race (and then sprayed down thoroughly with Brake Cleaner to remove all the grit left behind) ...then consider getting a "Redi-Sleeve" Kit to fix the problem. If you shove the nose of the HB in its present OEM condition (worn) back through the TC and the "wearing groove" does not mate up perfectly with the newly installed seal...you might have to do this PITA job all over again just to stop that annoying oil leak that will develop around the TC HB Seal.

"Yes... I AM Iron Man..." (Tony Stark)
      Last edited by 60dgrzbelow0; 12-22-2009, 11:52 PM.

Comment

The bolt isnt reverse threads is it?
        Alex (Big Al) Walker

someday GM will pull its collective heads out of their collective asses and listen to us... or go bankru... oops.

Comment

Nope. Just PITA to get off. A good strong impact will do wonders.
          Your local OBDII moderator

2000 Grand Am GT w/ WOT parts

Comment

Its torqued to like 150+ft lbs IIRC, so it usually takes a pretty long breaker bar to get it loose (if you don't have an impact). I think I've even had to add a pipe onto the end of my 2' breaker bar before to get it loose.
            -Brad-
            89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
            sigpic
            Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

My manual says it's supposed to be torqued to 76 lbs/ft. I'm sure a few years of use has added some torque resistance though.
              1995 Grand Am SE

Comment

I havent heard anything about replacing that seal before... Is it needed? The car has 105k on it
                Alex (Big Al) Walker

Comment

If it isn't leaking oil on that end then I don't think you have to worry. Just reinstall with fresh engine oil spread over the dampener's seal-contact area and some RTV in the keyway. Many here have replaced them with underdrive pulleys without replacing the seal without leaking issues.

Also, never hammer the dampener back on the crank or you'll likely ruin your crank bearings. Use a longer bolt + washers to pull it on.
                  1995 Grand Am SE

Comment

It never hurts to replace it, especially if heat was needed to loosen it.

The seal may be hard, and when removing pulley, you can bend and warp the rubber seal lip and it can start leaking afterwards.
                    JMO
                    As of April 2
                    3rd Gen Cavy has 3500 Installed!
                    ----------------------------
                    Engine: 2006 SV6 3500 LX9
                    Trans: 2002 Getrag F23 5speed
                    Pcm: 2001 Impala La1 3400 with complete Engine Harness.
                    Injectors: #36 GTPs
                    TB: 65mm TCE
                    Maf: 1999 3400 Montana.
                    Adjustable TCE Fuel pressure Regulator
                    Walbro W1 255 pump from Racetronix.
                    Beverages: Ice Cold CANADIAN.

Comment

Working...
                    X