TBI "tophat" needed....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TBI "tophat" needed....

Any suggestions for a "cost effective" tophat deal that will fit on the TBI units? I am looking at the Weber remote filter setup, and it looks like it may work, but I am afraid it may not clear the injectors/FP regulaotr assembly. And hood clearance IS an issue. Here is the thing I am talking about.

Minus all of the garbage under the tophat, of course....
    1986 Cherokee Wagoneer 4 door.
    2.8 Litre V6 TF904/NP228
    4.10 gears

I think i remember seeing something like that in my K&N catalog at work..

Cliff Scott
    89 BerettaGT
    89 Volvo740
    Cliff Scott
    89 BerettaGT
    04 AleroGX

Comment

Sweet Jeep, man. I forgot about the 2.8 Cherokees, never thought I would get to talk Jeeps in here. Here is my 1990 Wagoneer, we actually have the same exact lift, but I'm going to need your address so I can steal your tires...

As for the snorkel idea, what size base are you looking at? It isn't 4 barrel size, is it? If that were the case, you could just look for a newer vehicle with a TBI, maybe an 80's camaro with a 2.8? They might have a remote air filter location, not much room under that hood either. I've got a 4.0, so I guess I've never had to look into any of this before. Mine has the remote filter, I could just cut the tube off and run it wherever.

1989 CS 5 speed
      1992 Z34 5 speed
      1992 Grand Prix SE
      1990 Jeep Wagoneer
      1977 Pontiac Ventura

Comment

FYI 1995 Lumina Minivan has 3.1 and TBI.. I'm not sure what your trying to do but just thought you might want to know that.

Comment

A guy on s-series uses the "turtle" hat found in tbi cadillacs and made his own cai. It should work very well on your truck.
          1992 Chevrolet S10
          2.8 v6 tbi 5 speed

Comment

Originally posted by Justin
            As for the snorkel idea, what size base are you looking at? It isn't 4 barrel size, is it? If that were the case, you could just look for a newer vehicle with a TBI, maybe an 80's camaro with a 2.8? They might have a remote air filter location, not much room under that hood either. I've got a 4.0, so I guess I've never had to look into any of this before. Mine has the remote filter, I could just cut the tube off and run it wherever.

My main issue is hood clearance. Also diameter is a factor. None of the TBI CamBirds had remote filter. They had a regular style air cleaner, with about a 50 cent piece size snorkel.

I am going to look into the Cadillac thing, as well.
            1986 Cherokee Wagoneer 4 door.
            2.8 Litre V6 TF904/NP228
            4.10 gears

Comment

86 Jeep here you go,

1992 Chevrolet S10
              2.8 v6 tbi 5 speed

Comment

[quote="86JeepXJ"]
                Originally posted by Justin
                My main issue is hood clearance. Also diameter is a factor. None of the TBI CamBirds had remote filter. They had a regular style air cleaner, with about a 50 cent piece size snorkel.

I am going to look into the Cadillac thing, as well.

You might also look into one from a Dodge V6/V8... My dad's 98 Dakota R/T 5.9 has a similar style air intake, as do the others with 6 and 8 cyl engines...

Cliff Scott
                89 BerettaGT
                89 Volvo740
                Cliff Scott
                89 BerettaGT
                04 AleroGX

Comment

Here you go, a Caddy intake top hat on ebay, 8 days left as of thursday.

1989 CS 5 speed
                  1992 Z34 5 speed
                  1992 Grand Prix SE
                  1990 Jeep Wagoneer
                  1977 Pontiac Ventura

Comment

Working...
                  X