Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will the TCE Crank trigger work here?

Hi all,

1988 Camaro 2.8L V6 700R4. I'm putting in an '06 3500 V6.

Does the crank trigger work this pictured setup ??

See how my damnpner is apart from the crank pulley. I was planning on using this setup vs. a stock 3400 dampner on my new motor (then I wouldn't have to make new mounts for all my serp. belt accesories due to the added thickness of the trigger wheel...)

Any ideas?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Mars; 03-13-2010, 06:26 PM.
    11.92 @ 122 MPH 3400 91 Cavalier Z24 Intercooled S/C. -totalled-
    10.56 @ 130 MPH 3900 LZ9 87 IROC Z28 Intercooled GT4088 Turbo

I was going to put mine between the dampener and the pulley, I still need to pick up the front end goodies form a RWD '660 to check fitment though.
    Past Builds;
    1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
    1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
    Current Project;
    1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

Umm, yeah I guess i can always stick it between them and space out all my accesories the thickness of the trigger wheel...

I'm just hoping there is a provision to line up the wheel when bolting it to the pulley damper...

This must be a pretty common hiccup I would imagine ?

I really don't want to have to go with a 3400 because of this minor detail...

Comment

Not too many people have used them in a RWD app yet... i guess we'll be the ones to figure it out.

If i can get my trans this week i'll be able to get my engine in the car and start testing things...
        Past Builds;
        Current Project;

Comment

i'm not a RWD guy so i don't know, but why don't you guys just use the FWD accessories? it all seems much more compact....

Cammed 3400 --> 224whp 210wtq
          Cammed 3500 --> ???
          1 of 5 3500 J-Bodies

Comment

the timing cover would have to be modified and a new bracket made for the PS pump.. plus the radiator outlet is aimed to the wrong side. It's possible that it might work though.
            Past Builds;
            Current Project;

Comment

The TCE trigger does not work with the RWD components.
              Ben
              60DegreeV6.com
              WOT-Tech.com

Comment

what needs modified on the cover, aside from the PS pump mounting? OR you could just go with a manual Rack & pinion/gearbox(don't know which a 3rd gen uses) instead of P/S

The WP outlet shouldn't be a big deal..... chances are you can either find a rad with the inlet on the right(left) side, or just make a custom hose.... that part is easily overcome.

I'd say look into the FWD stuff. it'd be trick as hell :P

Cammed 3400 --> 224whp 210wtq
                Cammed 3500 --> ???
                1 of 5 3500 J-Bodies

Comment

the 3500 is internally balanced, and arent the rwd blocks externally balanced with the balancer?? or maybe thats the older 2.8's?
                  [SIGPIC]
                  12.268@117... 11's to come!
                  turbo 3400: 358whp and 365tq at 9 psi
                  ASE Master Technician. GM Certified.
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ibU1k8UZoo
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUqJyopd720

Comment

After1986 the all the RWD motors were internally balanced.

You can use the TCE wheel with a little modification. Make a spacer to bring the wheel itself to the outside of the pulley, and extend the sensor mount to match - I wouldn't bother spacing out all the accy's as that seems to be more of a pain to me than extending the wheel/sensor.

This so cool that you guys are doing this, some of these small items is why I built my hybrid rather than go full FWD motor right away - although gathering all the little stuff to get mine going is what ended up taking so long, now I just work on everyone's car BUT mine haha.

You can use th RWD timing cover and accy's on the fwd block, just be aware of the extra cooling passage near the driver's side radiator hose, and the accy brackets need some holes re-drilled to fit the aluminum heads. You might have an issue where the TB and alternator are close, I have some pics somewhere of how I did it (and kept A/C) - but after deciding to go twin turbo, that setup was nixed.
                    Links:
                    WOT-Tech.com
                    FaceBook
                    Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by SappySE107 View Post
                      The TCE trigger does not work with the RWD components.
                      you should know better than to say things like that to guys like us..

Damon, look at your timing cover and imagine if the LIM and UIM were flipped the other way...
                      Past Builds;
                      Current Project;

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                        now I just work on everyone's car BUT mine haha.
                        You may enjoy that now, but it will get old shortly... I was in that boat and after a while you come to realize you never get to enjoy the vehicles you have of your own anymore.

The trigger can work, just needs some bracket mods.
                        Lifting my front wheels, one jack at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by 1988GTU View Post
                          You may enjoy that now, but it will get old shortly... I was in that boat and after a while you come to realize you never get to enjoy the vehicles you have of your own anymore.
                          Well, since opening the shop in October, it hasn't gotten old yet. Life is so much easier when you have good equipment

I guess I am destined to live vicariously through others' cars
                          Links:
                          WOT-Tech.com
                          FaceBook
                          Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                            Well, since opening the shop in October, it hasn't gotten old yet. Life is so much easier when you have good equipment

I guess I am destined to live vicariously through others' cars
                            I should move next door to your shop and house........ I could always use someone to help me drink some jonny walker and shoot the shit. lol

Oh yea and to save me time in modifying my junk.
                            Lifting my front wheels, one jack at a time.

Comment

I'm thinking more and more to just do a full 3400 instead. Less issues here with the crank trigger, fuel rail, TB, ect ect.

PLUS, I can spend the 150$ on something else in the WOT store. CAM ?

Ahh, decisions.

Comment

Working...
                              X