injectors leak down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• injectors leak down

On my bench I put injector cleaner in the sprayer end of the injectors, stood them upward and let them sit for 5 min. Two of the injectors must have let the cleaner seep thru. Are these injectors bad?.......Tom

Nope or not necessarily. Remember that fuel pressure keeps the ball on it's seat. It's more important that they have clean seats. You would have to secure them in a rail or fixture and apply anticipated system pressures to see if they seep.

If you ain't rock and roll, you must be driving a Honda

Comment

Thanks....Tom

Comment

Originally posted by 86FieroSEv6 View Post
        Nope or not necessarily. Remember that fuel pressure keeps the ball on it's seat. It's more important that they have clean seats. You would have to secure them in a rail or fixture and apply anticipated system pressures to see if they seep.
        In the Rochester Multec Fuel Injector design...(in your case P/N 17103007, assuming we are talking about your 3.4L project, Tom) ... It's NOT fuel pressure that keeps the pintles seated in detente... but strong and reliable stainless steel springs that hold the pintles closed inside these EFIs...regardless of either too much or too little fuel pressure. The pintles are actuated by the strong electromagnetic coil that lifts them off of their seats at various heights and time cycles to alter their spray patterns according to demands as scheduled by the sensor inputs and outputs to the ECM/PCM...and provides for the right amount of "spritzing time slices" to get the fuel delivered. Using your method of cleaning, it is also possible that the aromatic hydrocarbons simply evaporated.

My knowledge and experience with working on these fuel injectors over this last year... is profound. If your bench test shows any of these injectors statically leaking...it is more than likely that there was enough clogged up mung inside of them to get wedged in the pintle column and prevent the S/S spring pressure from pushing the pintle(s) fully closed... or some of that same mung is also piling up inside the position where the sealing portion should be closing everything off. Or... both problems are present. Like I said in my recent email to you... Since you live a mere Stone's Throw away from me...when you are ready to do a THOROUGH cleaning of those EFIs, you can borrow "The FrankInjector Machine" any time it is mutually convenient and I'll give you a short training session of all the things it can do. You already know that I'm just interested in objective results and the outcome of your use of the machine. For your contribution... you get to seriously clean that set of EFIs...Scott Free! For mine... I can then find out from an independent member whether "Frank" really is capable of leaving home and making something of himself out in the world...
        Last edited by 60dgrzbelow0; 04-18-2010, 12:15 AM.

Comment

'below0 is correct across the board, sorry my statement wasn't that detailed or clear. Also, in a "ball and seat" design excessive fuel pressure can "unseat" the ball enough to seep whereas in a pintle design too much pressure can overcome the injector coils ability to pull the valve open. I would definitely take him up on his offer to test his rig.

@ 'below0 . . . have you tried any of the sonic type injector cleaning machines? I have had mixed results with them. Can't wait to see your final results, and maybe a little pictorial?

Comment

Originally posted by 86FieroSEv6 View Post
            'below0 is correct across the board, sorry my statement wasn't that detailed or clear. Also, in a "ball and seat" design excessive fuel pressure can "unseat" the ball enough to seep whereas in a pintle design too much pressure can overcome the injector coils ability to pull the valve open. I would definitely take him up on his offer to test his rig.

@ 'below0 . . . have you tried any of the sonic type injector cleaning machines? I have had mixed results with them. Can't wait to see your final results, and maybe a little pictorial?
            You have apparently missed the thread on this entire project. The "Pictorials" have already been memorialized in 279 digital images and 32 videos that follow the development of a fully functional EFI cleaning machine through three entire generations...ending with the final version I call the "The FrankInjector Machine". All that stuff is open for public viewing... here:

The Original Post:

The Specific Photobucket Album on this project (one of many more on the GM 3.4L Engine Teardown and Re-Build):

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

What Tom will be contributing to this project (if and when he decides to do so) is field testing the device with a fresh and objective eye on how things work on it... or if it fails...should that happen...and bringing that information here for us all to digest. If the machine functions as well as I anticipate it will in a sterling manner... that will be fine... but if he discovers any problems with any areas while cleaning and flow matching his EFIs that I have missed or overlooked... and he documents /photographs these artifacts in the original thread, then I will take that information and go back to the drawing board to fix whatever he finds wrong with "Frank". Even "Frankenstein"... needed to have his sutures looked at by James Whale... from time to time.
            Last edited by 60dgrzbelow0; 04-18-2010, 11:57 AM.

Comment

I'm still relatively new to the site and have a lot of catching up to do with respect to what you guys have built here.

Comment

Wow. We are neighbors huh? I have no spare time to free up at the moment, but i will in the near future...Tom
                Originally posted by 60dgrzbelow0 View Post
                You have apparently missed the thread on this entire project. The "Pictorials" have already been memorialized in 279 digital images and 32 videos that follow the development of a fully functional EFI cleaning machine through three entire generations...ending with the final version I call the "The FrankInjector Machine". All that stuff is open for public viewing... here:

The Original Post:

The Specific Photobucket Album on this project (one of many more on the GM 3.4L Engine Teardown and Re-Build):

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

What Tom will be contributing to this project (if and when he decides to do so) is field testing the device with a fresh and objective eye on how things work on it... or if it fails...should that happen...and bringing that information here for us all to digest. If the machine functions as well as I anticipate it will in a sterling manner... that will be fine... but if he discovers any problems with any areas while cleaning and flow matching his EFIs that I have missed or overlooked... and he documents /photographs these artifacts in the original thread, then I will take that information and go back to the drawing board to fix whatever he finds wrong with "Frank". Even "Frankenstein"... needed to have his sutures looked at by James Whale... from time to time.

Comment

Working...
                X