3.1 oil pump question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.1 oil pump question

Hi all, while I may be a forum noob, I'm not so much a noob to the automotive world... Right now I'm screwing together an engine to replace the current 234,000 mile 3.1 in the wife's '95 Grand Am. I bought a near twin to the wife's car for 300.00 that had 142k on clock for the drive train and parts. The engine was suffering from a massive LIM leak and I drained out 9qts of after birth from the pan.. Otherwise it's in decent shape with next to no ring ridge and pistons that have all the original machine marks. All things considered, I think I got lucky.. Due to a tight budget, it will be a touch on the loose side. According to the machinist, the crank measured out right at the bottom side of the spec. I can't afford to have it turned .010"/.010" so it will be dropped in as is, but with new standard bearings.
    Anyway, on to the question... Since this engine will be a bit loose, do you guys/gals think that I would benefit from a high volume oil pump. My original plans were to re-use the stock one since it's still in decent shape, but I'll spring for the H/V pump if required...When it's done and broke in, it will see a steady diet of 0w or 5w-40 synthetic oil.

Thanks for any and all input!
    Last edited by ProX; 04-24-2010, 08:11 PM.

How loose is it going to be, if it is still in tolerance you'll be fine. If it i just a little over it will have low oil pressure at idile. I'd put cam bearings in it also, they seem to wear. I don't think I would run a HV pump on the street. As for the cost how much would it cost to have your crank turned, I can get them turned for around $100. The HV pump would cost around $80. Its up to you but it is alot easier and cheaper to do it now than after you have the engine in the car. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by 95Grand-Am View Post
      How loose is it going to be, if it is still in tolerance you'll be fine. If it i just a little over it will have low oil pressure at idile. I'd put cam bearings in it also, they seem to wear. I don't think I would run a HV pump on the street. As for the cost how much would it cost to have your crank turned, I can get them turned for around $100. The HV pump would cost around $80. Its up to you but it is alot easier and cheaper to do it now than after you have the engine in the car. Good luck
      New cam bearings are already in. They were the most worn piece in the engine... I'm guessing it's due to the massive LIM leak. Supposedly it was just on the bottom end of spec. One pro opinion said it'd be fine and the other wasn't so sure.

Comment

Either way you swing it (HV or NV) I would replace that pump while it's apart. It's cheap insurance and I bet the old stock won't give as much as a new one after pumping that crap.
        -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
        91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
        92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
        94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
        Originally posted by Jay Leno
        Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Originally posted by pocket-rocket View Post
          Either way you swing it (HV or NV) I would replace that pump while it's apart. It's cheap insurance and I bet the old stock won't give as much as a new one after pumping that crap.
          Actually you'd be surprised at how good it looks... I've had it apart to clean it up and it shows a minimum of wear.

Comment

The stock pumps are plenty adequate. If your spec is .003 or less oil clearance then bolt it all together and have fun.
            1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
            1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
            Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by betterthanyou View Post
              The stock pumps are plenty adequate. If your spec is .003 or less oil clearance then bolt it all together and have fun.
              Honestly I don't know the clearance. I checked with plastigauge but I know that's not acurate. Especially when I didn't fully torque the caps down. (Because I didn't have a way to measure torque angle at the time.)

I figured the pump was sufficient, because it looks very similar to a SB Chevy one and that feeds more main, rod and cam bearings than a 3.1 but wanted to check with those who have more experience with this engine and it's needs.

Comment

stock pump is fine
                Past Builds;
                1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
                1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
                Current Project;
                1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

Working...
                X