3.4 valves are staying open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.4 valves are staying open

I put a new set of heads on my 3400 and now the valves are stay open and not closeing all the way i know there are to differrnt length but i have the push rod in the right spots , but some thing is wrong so i need to fix this asap. so thanks for the help ahead of time

Originally posted by Branham06 View Post
    I put a new set of heads on my 3400 and now the valves are stay open and not closeing all the way i know there are to differrnt length but i have the push rod in the right spots , but some thing is wrong so i need to fix this asap. so thanks for the help ahead of time
    Well, I'd say that if you are confident that you have the order of the push rods correct, then you need to shim the rocker pedestals.

Comment

your pushrods are in the wrong spot, check them again.
      Past Builds;
      1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
      1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
      Current Project;
      1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

well my dad said i need to shim them... but how do i go about this??? I sure i got the pushrods in right because i swap out a long one for and the short pusrods are so short that they fall out so i dont thing that the problem. Why does it need shims now it did not need them before i tore it down. thanks for the help

Comment

Don't shim the pedestals. You need to find out the actual cause and fix it properly. Lifter springs are not strong enough to compress valve springs. Are all of the valves staying open? Is it only on intake or exhaust? Did you do a compression test to determine the valves are open? If not how do you know the valves are open?

If ALL of the valves are open I would guess either the parts store gave you the wrong pushrods or somehow you managed to get every lifter stuck up top at the same time. If it is random valves being held open, look at the lifter. The plunger should come up to the retaining clip with the pushrod removed. If it does not go down in the lifter when you tighten the pushrod to spec then it could be gunked, jammed, or simply locked full of oil. After seeing numerous lifters jammed up while doing LIM (Lower Intake Manifold) jobs I am considering lifter removal and cleaning as MANDATORY for all LIMs I do in the future. Even cars with good maintenance and not a ton of miles (under 100K) and I'm still seeing more than half the lifters with little to no plunger movement. I'm about to be tearing into my fourth LIM this month. There was a slight tick before that had me concerned but I'm almost positive it's the lifters now.

As long as you don't lose any parts then it's free to do while the LIM is off. I had one spring fly off into oblivion the other day, shooting oil up my torso on to my beard and face lol. Yard charged me a dollar for the spring. I need to do them in a more confined space than my garage as I have so much crap in there it is sensory overload It probably is the pushrods though. I implore you to turn the engine by hand or at least crank it over without the spark plug wires on. It isn't worth 'going for broke' and breaking stuff.
          Last edited by WrathOfSocrus; 04-25-2010, 12:08 AM.

Comment

well not all th vales are stuck open it just som of the exhaust valves. and i can tell it suck ou\pen because at top dead center the number one exhaust valves is pushed down. so when i thighten the rocker arm i shoud be able to see the lifter go down?

Comment

The exhaust valve should be open on TDC of the exhaust stroke, turn the engine 360 degrees.

Comment

i dont under stand what you saying can you give me a call 502 643 3685 i reall need to get this fixed by tomarro thanks for your help

Comment

Most passenger cars are 4 stroke motors. The crank has to make two revolutions per cam revolution. If you spin the crank around one full turn the cam will turn only half a turn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbrVR6Tm8Vk

Comment

If you didn't do anything but heads, I would say your lifters are stuck. Pull them out, and dissassemble them. I have pictures on the TCE lifter spring listing that should help you.

Ben
                    60DegreeV6.com
                    WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Originally posted by Branham06 View Post
                      i dont under stand what you saying can you give me a call 502 643 3685 i reall need to get this fixed by tomarro thanks for your help
                      When are you going to send IsaacHayes his part or a refund?

Comment

Past Builds;
                        1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
                        1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
                        Current Project;
                        1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

How about you give me back my $60 you ripped me off? Not to mention the fines from the DMV I racked up while waiting for the parts to arrive? I think you need to be concerned with that first.
                          sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
                          1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
                          16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
                          Original L82 Longblock
                          with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
                          Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

Working...
                          X