VATS 95 camaro 3.4 L Fuel ENABLE Wire and etc Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VATS 95 camaro 3.4 L Fuel ENABLE Wire and etc Help

i was sent here from a camaro forum. i have a 1995 camaro V6 3.4 liter. Vats is junk. Vats is junk. Vats is junk. I bought the car a few days ago. I got a great deal on it. It was broke down. Its the vats. I bypassed the starter relay, and all hail the car will start for about 2 seconds and die. I know its the fuel injectors are shut off. I built a bcm bypass module (sends 50hz to the computer, to trick it into believing it is function correctly and the key checks out) problem is i dont know where my fuel enable wire is, and im not even sure where to look, at first i thought it was a wire on the silver metal box under my glove compartment near the starter relay with a yellow harness and connector which has 2 rows of 12 pins.. although someone from the other forum says thats a part of the air bag system.... perhaps someone could help me find a diagram or point me in the direction to find this wire i need to tie my signal wire into from my bypass module. The bypass module has 3 wires, ignition 12 volt, ground, and signal wire out, i really just need to find the signal wire, although if you tell me which harness i need to tie into, id be happy knowing which wires in that particular harness were the ignition 12 volt and ground as well as the fuel enable signal wire. Please help me... ive had the car like 3 days and am already getting frustrated and cant wait to actually test drive it. Also i know you can have the ecm or pcm reprogrammed to not even cut the fuel off, am i correct when i assume the ecm or pcm or whichever it is, is the computer under the hood on the firewall on the passenger side of the car? where would be the best place to bring it to get it reprogrammed if all else fails? please let me know something thanks so much. K.C.

PS i have been searching for 2 days so please dont tell me to search, thats been tried and failed! ive read and read and read. Thanks. K.C.

also does anyone have a pinout for the 95 3.4 l pcm? I need to get this thing going!

Comment

You are talking about the resistor in the key correct? All you have to do is check what the value of the key is with an ohmeter. Then you snip the two thin wires that go into your igninition switch and solder the correct value resistor between them.

Comment

Do you know where the fuel pump relay is (should be under the hood somewhere)? If so, I think you should be able to tap into there and accomplish what you are trying to do. Here is a diagram for a 95 Camaro V8, but if you look at the fuel pump relay, it's triggered from the theft deterrent module...

Might be worth a try.

Oh yeah, and welcome to the site!
        -Brad-
        89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
        sigpic
        Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

i already played with the resistor trick, no help. The system is just malfunctioning. As to the next post, i was under the impression that the computer had to recieve the 50hz signal from the vats system in order to get fuel through the injectors... Are you saying that the fuel enable wire may be accessible from the fuel pump relay?

Comment

From the 94 service manual:

The fuel enable circuit is an ouput from the theft deterrent module assembly and an input to the ECM. When the theft deterrent module assembly sees the proper resistance at the ignition key assembly, it will output a pulse width modulated (PWM) signal to the ecm. If the theft deterrent system does not see proper resistance at the ignition key assembly, it will not output the PWM signal to the ECM.

There is also a starter disable circuit controlled by the passkey system. It grounds out a relay which is said to be mounted to the right side of SIR bracket, behind instrument panel.

If you tell me exactly what happens when you try to start the car I can refer to my service manual and tell you where to look (ie codes, security light on, flashing, etc.) If you think the computer is not getting the fuel enable signal, check pin A3 at the theft deterrent module for approximately +2.5VDC while trying to start the car.

Edit: That diagram posted above shows nothing to do with the vats system, except where the B+ and ignition power is obtained for the theft deterrent module itself.
            If the car is cranking, obviously the starter disable relay is working, it would just be your ecm is not receiving the PWM signal from the theft module. So check for the above voltage, it should be a dark blue wire, if 95 is the same as 94. It shows that it goes to PIN 23 of the blue (C) connector at the ECM if you want to check that side as well.

Edit again: I just re-read your original post and I see you've already built yourself a little signal generator. How do you know for sure its 50hz? No where in my manual does it say that specifically. However, the above info I've given you should help you to connect it. Let us know if it works.
            Last edited by 3400beretta; 04-28-2010, 06:20 PM.

Comment

I think his problem is actually finding the theft deterent module. If he could easily find it, then finding the wire he is searching for would be easy.

We need Robert to come in here and provide the proper diagram....
              -Brad-
              89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
              sigpic
              Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

Theft deterrent module is located in I/P, just right of Radio, attached to air bag bracket. Has a single 16 pin connector. Says connector is green in my book.

Comment

well then thats my problem, the only thing i found was silver and a 12 pin connector.... ill go look somemore for the right box. a2 on that connector was a hot wire. thanks alot, yall ill be back in a few mins and well if i find the right connector it should be a2?

Comment

ok, from what i can tell the module im messing with is the right module. its under the glove compartment. its silver in color. and has a 12 pin yellow connector. it mounts on the under side of the airbag bracket. i took the glove box out and the radio plastics, and there is nothing else that resembles andthing like it. If someone could help me figure out which wire on the 12 pin connector is the signal wire things would be great right now, i already built a bypass module that sends the fuel enable signal to the ecm, i just need to know what wire to tie it into...... any ideas?

Comment

I don't think you've found the correct module. Gmpartsdirect shows the same module being used from 93-96, and I have the service manual right infront of me, it shows a 16 pin connector, and says its green. It uses 8 of the 16 pins. A1 should be hot at all times, A2 should be hot only with key in on position. B5 is ground. A3 is your fuel enable signal to the ECM.

Heres a picture to kinda show what you're looking for, its 28.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by 3400beretta; 04-28-2010, 08:05 PM.

Comment

i know i keep saying the one i found has a 12 pin connector, but i meant its 24 pin, 2 rows of 12. I completely can find anything else. I searched everywhere, on the drivers side, theres another box but it has 2 connectors going into it... there is the boxi found under the passenger side by airbag... and the computer under the hood with 3 connectors..... any better description where 28 from the diagram came from??

Comment

if 28 is the part im looking for perhaps what ive found in 29.... but for the life of me i cant find 28, the weird part is i dont see the other computer box i found under the drivers side, which has 2 connectors on it...

Comment

thanks beretta. You win :-D i finaly found the stupid plastic black box with a green connector on it. although i havent gotten to it, its bolted to the metal airbag case up inside the dash, i only got to it by pulling the dash half way out and looking down from the top with my head crammed in by the windshield. I have only gotten a glimpse as its dark, and i was fighting the car with a flash light lol. Tomorrow, im going to figure out how to get my hands to it and remove the bolt and run my signal through the wire. I appreciate it man, and ill give yall a update tomorrow, as i hope to get to bring it for a spin. talk about a head ache lmao.... huge pain in the arse. Thanks everybody, and if anyone knows an easier way to pull this thing out than tearing my dash up more than i already have, please let me know, as i have so rigging to do, to get the dash to ever go back in the way it needs too.... of course i do have an extra dashboard although i dont really want to have to put it in... thanks again
                            KC

Comment

lol, I knew you'd find it

Comment

Working...
                              X