Intake Gasket brand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intake Gasket brand

Whats a good brand for intake gaskets 96 3100. I used a NAPA brand last time that only last for 2 years. The places I look online have Felpro and two different types of gaskets with or with out push rod guides in them.
    4+4+2=10 for Oldsmobile

96 Cutlass Supreme SL IV

I have 5 Gmail invites to give out

Felpro. They work fine for me
    Robby Whitesell
    2006 Pontiac G6 GT
    1985 Toyota Pickup DLX

Comment

thats what i was planning on getting anyway
      4+4+2=10 for Oldsmobile

96 Cutlass Supreme SL IV

Comment

I cut my own from a rubber fiber mixture and have had great results.

==95GTP

Comment

Felpro, then use RTV or Ultra Grey around the coolant ports on both sides.. they will never be a problem.
          I modify stuff

Comment

Originally posted by GPXSS
            Felpro, then use RTV or Ultra Grey around the coolant ports on both sides.. they will never be a problem.
            Yeah, puttin RTV around water jackets is a must. Thats where the lower intake gasket usually leaks. Putting just a little around the intakes isnt a bad idea either
            Robby Whitesell
            2006 Pontiac G6 GT
            1985 Toyota Pickup DLX

Comment

its down at my ungles house right now, he replace several of these before. Felpro is what GM uses as replacement.
              4+4+2=10 for Oldsmobile

96 Cutlass Supreme SL IV

Comment

Thats interesting, The felpro gaskets i got look exactly like the GM ones that came off the junk motor, unless they WERE felpro replacements?
                I modify stuff

Comment

If you guys like to use RTV then go ahead. I never use the stuff except to keep the gasket from shifting when installing it (put it on in spots). Ever try to clean a mating surface thats had RTV used on it, what a mess. Using the proper torque when putting the part back on saves the requirement of using RTV.

Comment

what about on the bottom of the lower intake where it mates to the part of the block b/n the two heads?? RTV is a MUST there. RTV and proper torque specs assure you wont be changing the gasket for a LONG time
                    Robby Whitesell
                    2006 Pontiac G6 GT
                    1985 Toyota Pickup DLX

Comment

oh scheit!! Now I see what you mean. I'm used to working on a 3.4 and thought that was a bitch. I would rate this a 4 star PITA! The lower intake requires you to remove more crap just to get it off. The 3.4 isnt so bad now.

I'll keep the 3.4 and get rid of the 3.1 turbo.

Comment

dont use NAPA brand intake gaskets, they were all broken when my uncle got the manifold off.
                        4+4+2=10 for Oldsmobile

96 Cutlass Supreme SL IV

Comment

NAPA gaskets are made by Victor...they make GM gaskets.(Or so I was told)

Comment

There are plastic felpro LIM gaskets, and there are metal ones. Use the metal ones- they're a huge improvement. About the silicon...

Thankyou, Captain Obvious- yes, you gotta use silicon under the ends of the intake to seal the oil. I wouldn't use silicon elsewhere on the gaskets, myself- and Felpro specifically says not to in the included instructions. Felpro makes gaskets for a living- you don't. I'll take Felpro's word in this case.

Comment

Working...
                            X