Stupid Fel-Pro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid Fel-Pro

So I had this annoying coolant drip which I thought was loose hose clamps on the lower rad hose so I tightened them up and drive some more and it was still there. So I got my good light and got under the Trooper and sure enough the front cover gasket is leaking and maybe the water pump too. I remember when I installed these gaskets that they felt a little thin but I wasn't too worried since I checked the timing cover to block fitment to make sure it was all flat and I assembled it on the stand and was able to get everything clean and torqued up right. I just did this like 2 years ago so I am freaking pissed.

When I did my pickup my dad helped me out and he was adamant that I only use GM gaskets. They were more money but it was my first build and my dad had been a GM Tech and Shop Foreman and is now Service Manager so what did I know? So that build went perfect and 10 years or more have gone by and I have never seen a drip out of my pickup so I guess my dad was right.

So sometimes paying twice the price pays off in the end. Does anyone use another gasket brand that is readily available and is built as good or better than OEM? I'd love to know if there is more than just one good brand available.
    1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
    1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
    Because... I am, CANADIAN

right stuff it. I have had good luck with dorman, felpro, and gm.
    Ben
    60DegreeV6.com
    WOT-Tech.com

Comment

What is Right Stuff?

I have had good luck with Fel-Pro too. All the other gaskets are Fel-Pro and they are working very well. It was just these 2 gaskets that I remember thinking "Man these are cheesy." I am going to order a GM timing cover, water pump, front seal and balancer since I noticed some oil leaking out at the front and I know there is a bit of a groove in the balancer. If I notice a big difference in thickness then I will know for sure that the Fel-Pro's are junk for the pump and cover. I will also get a peak at the COMP cams timing chain and see how that is holding up. I have never used a COMP chain before.

Comment

I just put Victor Reinz on our 3400 -- not going to be the same as your engine but the gaskets they furnished were paper and thin. I used the old Permatex #2 on the front cover and didn't need to mess with the water pump. The OEM ones didn't seem to be leaking but what I scraped off looked like the old paper kind as well.

I did a bunch of looking before trying the Victors. Opinions were varied of course but one note I read claimed VR supplies the OEM gaskets to GM as well as most of the European market.

As of now I've used OEM, Fel Pro & Victor Reinz. But I think I'm starting to hijack your thread...

Comment

I got a GM gasket for the timing cover but cannot get one for the pump because it is discontinued. So I got a Victor one. We will see how it goes.

The GM balancer was $300 so I went with a $50 aftermarket one.

Comment

I have never had a problem with the Fel-Pros. I hope the GM one solves your problem.
            Ron
            Las Vegas, NV
            1989 Beretta GT

Comment

I've been running FelPro's on my engines and never had a problem, I always put a thin layer of RTV on the block around the coolant ports as well as on the timing cover, AND I make sure to seal the back lower large bolt that goes into the water jacket.

Only felpro gasket I wont run is the standard duty head gaskets and lower gaskets since the parts are matched to GM ones... Other than that Fel Pro is all I buy.

Got Lope?
              3500 Build, Comp XFI Cam 218/230 .050 dur .570/.568 lift 113LSA
              Fully Balanced, Ported, 3 Angle Valve Job, 65mm TCE TB, S&S Headers.
              Stage-1 Raybestos/Alto 4t60e-HD, EP LSD, 3.69FDR
              12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

Originally posted by betterthanyou View Post
                I got a GM gasket for the timing cover but cannot get one for the pump because it is discontinued. So I got a Victor one. We will see how it goes.

The GM balancer was $300 so I went with a $50 aftermarket one.
                Is it a real torsion dampening balancer? With out a real balancer strong shock waves coming from the cranks front side will allow a bad vibration through out the engine block. Not sure how that would effect a head gasket, if at all. But I do know excessive vibration can be bad for longetivity.
                1996 Grand Prix | 3100v6 L82 | T04E-50 Turbo | Getrag 282 w/ EP LSD | SPEC-3 Clutch

Comment

He probably means aftermarket like OEM aftermarket, which they are under $100 and yes have the stock rubber dampener in there.

Got Lope?
                  12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

I put, I think, a Felpro timing cover gasket on my 1999, 3100 engine a few years ago. I still have problems with it leaking, but I found out it was around the larger outside bolt (holes). They come untightened and it leaks out there.

I got pissed and put some black RV on the underside of the bolt head and put blue loctite on the thread portion. Stopped leak (last time i checked), so I didn't have to replace stupid gasket again.

Yeah, a remember a flimsy blue paper gasket and I said to myself "is this thing going to work?" I put some brown form uh gask-2 goo on it.

Comment

Originally posted by SappySE107 View Post
                      right stuff it. I have had good luck with dorman, felpro, and gm.
                      Yup. The Right Stuff is awesome and actually has a GM part number since that's what they use at the factory (also Ford and Mopar part numbers). Just a thin layer on each side of the gasket works wonders. We can't take chances at the shop, returns don't pay the bills.
                      Links:
                      WOT-Tech.com
                      FaceBook
                      Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by talon2swords View Post
                        Yeah, a remember a flimsy blue paper gasket and I said to myself "is this thing going to work?" I put some brown form uh gask-2 goo on it.
                        +1 on that. RTV is great but this is the trick for the paper gaskets and water, or limited exposure to oil.

Comment

I wish it was just the bolts but I know I sealed the right bolt that requires sealant and unfortunately I can clearly see it is coming from the gasket. I bought some gasket sealer spray and will apply it to the gaskets before I start. I also bought a new GM crank seal and a new balancer just in case mine has a bad groove on the seal surface. I am going to get this done tomorrow. I have done it once on my S-10 in the truck when I had to change out a cam and have also done it on my Trooper once before on the old 2.8L.

Comment

Originally posted by 3400-95-Modified View Post
                            He probably means aftermarket like OEM aftermarket, which they are under $100 and yes have the stock rubber dampener in there.
                            Wow, normally I tend to be cautious at best if I find an aftermarket product sold at a fraction of the OEM alternative.
                            1996 Grand Prix | 3100v6 L82 | T04E-50 Turbo | Getrag 282 w/ EP LSD | SPEC-3 Clutch

Comment

ACdelco ones can be had for $60 on RA for a 93 S10, the Dorman version is $38... I have no idea who would have tried to charge him $300, and sometimes you need to remember your not paying for the quality or name brand, but more for the hands that handle the item before it reaches you.

Got Lope?

Comment

Working...
                              X