5spd trans swap ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5spd trans swap ?

Heys guys im trying to swap my beretta from auto to 5spd didnt have much luck finding a 5spd so i was wondering if 5spd trans out of a newer cavalier or sunfire 2.2. Or 2.4 would fit? Any info would be greatly app

A 2.2 Isuzu 5spd will bolt up, but the strength is suspect. Find a Getrag 282 from a Beretta/Cavalier/Grand Prix in the late 80s, early 90s.

91 SS . 3400/5spd - S&S, TCE, EP, FFP, SPEC, DSS, K&N . GEARHEAD dezign

Comment

Car-parts.com is your friend

Comment

wrong section first off, And where are you located i have a couple trans for sale

Comment

Yea sorry i was alittle hung over when i posted lol but im located in york pa

Comment

If you want i can ship one via greyhound pm me if your interested.

Comment

Pm sent

Comment

I've got a few spare Getrag 282s.....

Comment

Price? An are you willing to ship?

Comment

the fiero world is staring to take notice of the F23 trans that was in the non ecotec 00-02 Cavaliers, I'm in the process of putting one in my fiero. they're supposed to be very strong, and use the same axles as a stock fiero 5 speed, not sure how much work would be involved for a beretta though....

Introduction This article will familiarize you with the Getrag F23, its strengths and weaknesses, and supply detailed instruction for installing it and the necessary equipment. The F23 Getrag’s newest iteration of their five speed transaxle is the F23, which has been built from 2000 - 2010. It is of three shaft design, features a self adjusting internal throwout bearing, a synchro'd reverse,

that one is being installed behind a smallblock chevy...
                    "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Comment

Originally posted by tad89 View Post
                      Heys guys im trying to swap my beretta from auto to 5spd didnt have much luck finding a 5spd so i was wondering if 5spd trans out of a newer cavalier or sunfire 2.2. Or 2.4 would fit? Any info would be greatly app
                      Getrag-282 or HM-282 (same I believe)
                      Getrag-284 if time/money is no concern for a little more strength

Only W-Body 282's have different bellhousing bolt patterns for the trans mounts.

IDK about the F23, I do know the getrag swap has been done many times so you have a world of advise and help available. And the getrags have been punsihed often and has proven to hold up well.

If you use a hydraulic throwout bearing, prime it before assembly. I learned the hard way.....you might be fine but the alternative is removing the trans to get to the slave.

You need to bypass the P/N switch to start the car. If you can, get the floor mounted switch behind the clutch pedal. This will be the new safety as the car won't start unless clutch is depressed.

If you put in a newer trans mount, do the same for the engine mount on the other side. I heard it is bad to mismatch (solid vs poly, etc)(old vs new)
                      1996 Grand Prix | 3100v6 L82 | T04E-50 Turbo | Getrag 282 w/ EP LSD | SPEC-3 Clutch

Comment

Originally posted by TGP37 View Post
                        IDK about the F23, I do know the getrag swap has been done many times so you have a world of advise and help available. And the getrags have been punsihed often and has proven to hold up well.

The F23 is a getrag, there's more than one behind 3800's, both n/a, turbo, and supercharged, and at least one behind a SBC in fieros. they're a three shaft trans with a syncro'd reverse.

IIRC, a guy on pennock's went low 12's on one behind a turbo 3800, the main thing holding him back was axles...
                        "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Comment

What years did the f23 come in an that was only with the 2.2 l right 2.4 is different i think

Comment

Originally posted by ericjon262 View Post
                            The F23 is a getrag, there's more than one behind 3800's, both n/a, turbo, and supercharged, and at least one behind a SBC in fieros. they're a three shaft trans with a syncro'd reverse.

IIRC, a guy on pennock's went low 12's on one behind a turbo 3800, the main thing holding him back was axles...
                            Interesting, thanks for the correction.
                            1996 Grand Prix | 3100v6 L82 | T04E-50 Turbo | Getrag 282 w/ EP LSD | SPEC-3 Clutch

Comment

Originally posted by tad89 View Post
                              What years did the f23 come in an that was only with the 2.2 l right 2.4 is different i think
                              the 2.2 uses the same bell housing pattern as our 660's, best trans to go with is one from a 2000-2002 J-body, but from what I understand though, the bellhousing can be swapped between any of the F23 transmissions.

Comment

Working...
                              X