Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.8 intake on 3.1/3.4?

Hey everyone!

I'm kind of new to the 60v6 world so please bare with me. I race in a v6 auto enduro class and have used these engines a few times in the past. What i would like to do is ditch the computer and sensors on the motor and put a carb and distributor on one which would be way better for my type of racing.

My main question is would i be able to take a 2.8 intake and put it on a gen 1 3.1 or 3.4, or would i have to change out heads to do so? Also worried about coolant passageways and if that would cause a problem or not. I have been trying to do some research to figure this out on my own but have had no luck.

Also if i can accomplish this the next step is to rebuild the engine and try to get some serious horsepower out of it. Where would i be able to find performance parts for one of these engines. Such as:
    Carbs
    Intakes
    Cam and lifter kits
    oversized pistions
    Stroker cranks ( if anyone makes them)

Thanks in advance and sorry about my lack of knowledge!

If the engine you want to put the gen1 intake on is also a gen1, then yes it will work, if it's a gen 2 or 3 3.1 or 3.4, then no it won't work, and even though swapping the heads would work, you'd drop the compression WAY down (would also need to swap pistons) and the lack of flow through the gen1 heads would reduce power considerably.

Comment

At ARI Racing Engines in Grandview, MO, we offer a variety of machine services for your vehicle’s engine. Get in touch with us for details.

Site is a bit on the old side, so contact them. Also do some shopping around for better prices. Summit has some parts. Stroker kits can be appealing, but it may not last long for what you are doing.
      95 Beretta 3100 with 3400 intakes and TCE TB
      High flow cat and a Magnaflow muffler
      Grand Prix trans with 3.33FDR

Comment

I'm curious what type of racing you're doing where a carb would be better. If you're required to run a carb that's one thing but the guys in my series (LeMons) that run carbs are at a disadvantage in terms of fuel economy (more pit stops = less laps) and reliability. There are definitely computers that have questionable reliability but the 7730 isn't one of them. The stock 3400 (and 7730 computer) we installed has been absolutely bulletproof and a night and day performance improvement over the 2.8L it replaced.

Sam

Comment

I run off road derbies. pretty much a maximum of 25 laps on a tight track and contact is allowed. As for the carb, it's simply preference for me

Comment

I can see where that would be a very different ball game. Edelbrock makes a carb manifold for the 2.8L which would fit the f-body 3.4L well. They recommend a 390 carb to pair it with.

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/...ormer-v6.shtml <-Go all the way to the bottom of the page.

Comment

Working...
            X