Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3500 pics....

Colin
    92 Sunbird GT, 3200 Hybrid 13.99@ 95.22 (2004)
    90 Eagle Talon TSi AWD 10.54 @ 129mph.

I cant get over the exhaust setup. It's about F'n time GM!!!!
    Brian

'95 Cutlass Supreme- "The Rig"
    3400 SFI V6, 4T60e
    Comp Cam grind, LS6 valve springs, OBD2 swap, Tuned
    2.5" DP/ 2.5" dual exh/ Magnaflow Cat/ crap mufflers/ 3500 Intake manifold/ 65mm TB
    TGP steering Rack/ 34mm Sway Bar/Vert STB/ KYB GR2's

'08 Chevy Trailblazer SWB 1LT "Smart Package"- LH6 5.3L V8/4L60e, A4WD

Comment

Holy tranny pan.

It looks like there was a lot that was changed...

What happened to the nice aluminium fuel rails?
      Looks like the cam position sensor was changed, again. I wonder if it was just a connection change or if there is a difference in the sensor itself.
      I don't like the look of that fly by wire into that brick wall throttle, I like technology, I just don't trust it that much.
      I am curious about the coil(s), and how much that has changed and wether the older style could be retrofitted in swap situations.

I am also curious about internal changes, like the heads, the lower intake looks familiar, and what they changed on/in the block.

Colin, call a blown engine in one, so we can get the skinny.

Comment

Wow, a full lower intake gasket. No more RTV!
        Robby Whitesell
        2006 Pontiac G6 GT
        1985 Toyota Pickup DLX

Comment

Just an observation, but isn't that one exhaust pipe close to the oil filter?

Comment

Originally posted by ikessky
            Just an observation, but isn't that one exhaust pipe close to the oil filter?
            I'm wondering about that too.

Comment

I burn myself enough as it is changing oil right now!

Comment

At least the oil filter is right there - no hunting for it!

Any of you guys ever changed an oil filter on a Sunfire?

Comment

Colin, call a blown engine in one, so we can get the skinny.

im working on it... LOL... if so it'll be finding a home in a certain Jbody engine bay

whats funny was the other day when i was doing an inspection on one, it was the end of the day, and i just about took off the plenum for fun to see what it all looked like.

yeah the Lower intake manifold looks unchanged. seems like its still the large port 3400/3100 style manifold.

we'll see how well that rubber seal holds up on the intakes.

notice on the heads there are coolant sensor holes. in one of the pics there is a pipe plug in the hole that isnt being used (pic of where the p/s pump is missing you can see this) as now on the rear head they're back to using a coolant sensor in the head again.

the exhaust is pretty freaking sweet.. to bad it Y's up and dumps into only a 2-2-1/4 size pipe. the main catback pipe is ridiculously small.

the Ignition module COIL packs are now a ONE piece design. no split one coil per 2 cyls setup anymore.

notice the air restrictive air box setup.. BAH! air box goes from the passenger side, tubes over across the front of the car between the rad and engine and then curves back around into the t/b... what a lenthy intake setup.

the battery and all electrical center connections are all on the drivers side.

the coolant bottle is now sitting up at the firewall area eh.

I personally dont like Drive by wire throttles only from a technician stand point of you cant adjust RPM under the hood anyway shape or form anymore. its a PITA.

yeah the fuel rails are completely different the one line goes up and across the whole pleum...

i took that pic of the cam sensor wiring as it does look like a new connector... as to if its a new sensor setup?? dont know yet.

To drive the car... its pretty nice. ive now driven 4 of them. power is good. responsive. nice car. got the tires to make some good noise....

the auto trans shifter setup is pretty cool. Only lists: P R N D L

there is no 3 2 1 anymore.. UNTIL.... you put it into Low, for which there is now a (+ -) button on the shifter that controls Low gears 3, 2 and 1. so you can manually shift from down into 1st starting upshift into 2 and 3, and downshift into the gears the same way. however there is no overdrive when doing this as your just in the L range. but meh... fun to do. expecially without TC on.

Did i mention the malibu now has Independent rear suspension??

i have heaps more pics of the interior, undcarrage, and exterior...

just havnt gotten around to resizing them all yet.
                  Colin
                  92 Sunbird GT, 3200 Hybrid 13.99@ 95.22 (2004)
                  90 Eagle Talon TSi AWD 10.54 @ 129mph.

Comment

Cam position sensors changed in 2003...

26+6=1

Comment

Handling! Give me handling stories! This car is on the Epsilon platform, which is also shared by the current Saab 9-3, which has been highly praised for it's steering/handling/braking. Oh, and absence of torque-steer. I've read virturally the same praises for the Malibu as well, (the upcoming Grand Am replacement, G6, will be on this platform too), but I'd like to hear from someone who's not a reviewer Seeing as how you have driven several of them, what's up?

Regarding the independent rear on the Malibu. According to GM it's always been independent. The link leads to the info for the 1997 Malibu (of which I own one), which was the first year:

4-wheel independent suspension
                      Anyways, I stopped by the service department of my local Chevy dealer so I can start working there again, and while I was there I went and took a look at the new Malibus first hand. The interior layout and especially materials looks SOOO much better. Have yet to sit in one and feel around. But the dash/center console area is especially looking a whole lot better.

Car insurance is legal discrimination

Comment

Its nice to see the exhaust routed the correct way...instead of having that damn thing in the engine bay....good god. How I hate that. This should also making it easier for companies to make headers for this motor.

I'd like to see pics of the bottom end of the motor. Is it a 4-bolt? How deep (or shallow) skirted is it? Is it still a 6k redline?

There isn't any info on this motor on gmpowertrain.com......damn it.
                        -1996 Beretta
                        3400 SFI / 4T60-E

-1991 Grand Prix SE
                        3.4L DOHC / HM-284

Comment

For info on the 3500, Go Here. That'll give you at least some info.

That's from another good GM site. It's also a powertrain site, but is almost always more up to date than powertrain.com. This site is updated more frequently than powertrain.com.

Car insurance is legal discrimination

Comment

Working...
                          X