3500 Exhaust. . . .?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3500 Exhaust. . . .?

Would someone please explain why all the busted nut over the exhaust on the 3500? I can see how it's different, but what difference does it make is my question. The 3x00s have the front exhaust wrap around the side of the engine with the tb/trans and go down and under from there, but the front on the 3500 not only has it's own cat it looks like, but it goes straight down and underneath the engine.

Aside from the routing being nicer to look at, what's the big deal? Someone want to elaborate please?

Car insurance is legal discrimination

All that comes to mind for me is that GM did not put the RESTRICTIVE regular manifold on the car like the rest of the 3x00 cars got, and instead put on a BETTER FLOWING (semi-headers) that probably does a lot more for power.

Not too sure seeing that there is a heat shield on there, but from the looks of it, it shouel flow a lot better..... MEANING..... MORE POWER!!!!!
    Taylor
    1988 Olds Cutlass Supreme 3100 MPFI
    1990 Pontiac Grand Prix STE 3.1 MPFI
    1994 Olds Cutlass Supreme convertible
    1998 Lincoln Mark VIII
    "find something simple and complicate it"

Comment

The stock 2.8/3.1 exhaust manifolds were a significant limiter of power. The 3100/3400 got marginally better with the D shaped ports. If the 3500 has the same heads, then it's D shaped ports to a more header-like manifold and it's now incredibly easy to make TRUE duals, and you wont even have to bother with catalysts since the factory ones are up close to the engine
      Brian

'95 Cutlass Supreme- "The Rig"
      3400 SFI V6, 4T60e
      Comp Cam grind, LS6 valve springs, OBD2 swap, Tuned
      2.5" DP/ 2.5" dual exh/ Magnaflow Cat/ crap mufflers/ 3500 Intake manifold/ 65mm TB
      TGP steering Rack/ 34mm Sway Bar/Vert STB/ KYB GR2's

'08 Chevy Trailblazer SWB 1LT "Smart Package"- LH6 5.3L V8/4L60e, A4WD

Comment

That looks like the cat from the front side of the engine right? Looks awfully close to the engine. How does such a short space between the head and the cat going to affect headers?

Car insurance is legal discrimination

Comment

no I mean that the catalysts are not under the car, so doing something like adding true duals, you wont have to bother messing with them. Im tired....BAH!
          Brian

'95 Cutlass Supreme- "The Rig"
          3400 SFI V6, 4T60e
          Comp Cam grind, LS6 valve springs, OBD2 swap, Tuned
          2.5" DP/ 2.5" dual exh/ Magnaflow Cat/ crap mufflers/ 3500 Intake manifold/ 65mm TB
          TGP steering Rack/ 34mm Sway Bar/Vert STB/ KYB GR2's

'08 Chevy Trailblazer SWB 1LT "Smart Package"- LH6 5.3L V8/4L60e, A4WD

Comment

the main excitment is that you could run straight from the stock manifolds TRUE DUAL's.. if you wanted.. that and the fact that you could either just upgrade the pipe for better flow

with the manifolds being split like that now, it gets rid of the restrictive Front manifold flowing throught the crossover pipe into and through the rear manifold (affecting flow of the front and rear) and then dumping into the single pipe.

you cant really run true duals off the stock crossover setup..

i dont really care much about true dual, i just run 2.5 mandrel single pipe. but now you could do a good setup even Ypiping them together for better flow from stock manifolds.

meh.

hey nice pic... where did you find that
            Colin
            92 Sunbird GT, 3200 Hybrid 13.99@ 95.22 (2004)
            90 Eagle Talon TSi AWD 10.54 @ 129mph.

Comment

Working...
            X