distributor on an '01 3400 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• distributor on an '01 3400 ?

Hey all, this may sound like a really stupid question, and then u would ask WHY?????? but i just need to know
    ok so here it is.... is there ANYWAY i can put in a distributor on this engine... ? i was looking at a 3100 i had layin around and i know you can't just put it on cuz the throttle body neck from upper plenum is in the way, but looking at it, there should be enough room if i were to turn the whole intake around and face it the other way...? would that work?

thanx!

-Rob
    Rob
    ----------
    \'87 Fiero GT 3400 5-Speed
    2\" Drop, 17\" Rims, GA Brakes, Full Poly

Nope. Not without some major fabrication, that is. The gen2/3 aluminum heads direct the intake ports at a much higher angle than the iron heads do, so the intake runner in the lower manifold on cylnder #6 occupies the same space that is needed to clear even the small diameter distributor. You would have to fabricate a custom distributor that sits much higher.

I assume you are asking because you want to put it into a Fiero, and the Fiero has a distributor stock? You are beter off just using the DIS system from the 3400. You can either use the stock 3400 PCM (other headaches invlved here), use an older OBD1 ECM (tuning required), or have someone rework the Fiero ECM code and maps to work with the DIS instead of the distributor.

Marty
    '99 Z-28 - Weekend Driver
    '98 Dodge Neon - Winter Beater
    '84 X-11 - Time and Money Pit
    '88 Fiero Formula - Bone stock for now

Quote of the week:
    Originally posted by Aaron
    This is why I don't build crappy headers. I'm not sure, I don't know too much about welding.

Comment

DOH... yes you are correct, i plan on putting it in my Fiero. question is then, what would be the easiest way to make it work? maybe there is some way i could use the 3400s crank/cam sensor to drive a modified circuit with stock ecm and 3400's DIS? or u say have the fiero ecm code changed to use DIS, that almost sounds best.. who would i contact on getting that done? i dunno... i'm open for any ideas... i will be getting the 3400 next weekend and wanna start workin on it asap. thanx for the info so far!

Rob
      Rob
      ----------
      \'87 Fiero GT 3400 5-Speed
      2\" Drop, 17\" Rims, GA Brakes, Full Poly

Comment

Yea I would use the DIS system too. It is a better system anyway. I supose you do not have the computer do you? You are going to have to cross refrence the ECM numbers if they are the same as a DIS computer you can plug in an OBD1 MPFI chip which would have had DIS such as a 3.1L Camaro, Cavalier or what ever else was out there.
        1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
        1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
        Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

Mick (Mechanic) would be the person to ask about this. He is currently running a turbo'd 3400 in him Fiero. You can get ahold of him from his website, www.gmpcm.com
          -Brad-
          89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
          sigpic
          Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

Working...
          X