removing A/C compressor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• removing A/C compressor

I'm tearing out my A/C anyways someone said that I'd need a A/C delete pulley to replace the A/C compressor. I was just gonna put a smaller surpentine belt but he said it needs a pully for the water pump. Is this true?

Anyways I don't want to buy a delete pully, so I was thinking maybe I could gut out the compressor to have it spin freely just like a delete pulley would. This way I'd lose some weight and maybe gain a HP or 2. Any idea if this would work?

I know plenty a people who have run it without that pulley and been just fine...

Cliff Scott
    89 BerettaGT
    89 Volvo740
    Cliff Scott
    89 BerettaGT
    04 AleroGX

Comment

what spins the water pump then? (I have to take a look at the engine again myself).. it was dark out)

Comment

Originally posted by Canadian Badass v.2.0
        what spins the water pump then? (I have to take a look at the engine again myself).. it was dark out)
        From what he said (and i saw) the belt still adequately contacted the waterpump...

Cliff Scott
        89 BerettaGT
        89 Volvo740
        Cliff Scott
        89 BerettaGT
        04 AleroGX

Comment

Does any one know the part number to the idler pulley and the size of the belt that you use? It looks like it attaches to the timing chain cover some where.
          1995 Grand Am GT
          3400 V6 / 4T60-E / Engine Swap
          3400 Engine Swap Guide Version 2.5 is Available!
          www.3400swap.com

Comment

You wont gain any HP by removing the AC compressor. The pulley on it spins freely when the AC isnt engaged (on). It acts as an idler pulley already.

The moral of the story is:

Don't bother unless you honestly care about 20lbs.

Comment

I've decided to leave the a/c in (I put it back together this morning). I'll have to get it charged up sometime and hopefully it will work (hasn't worked since I got the car 3 years ago).

Thanks for your help though, I sure learned a lot about compressors

Comment

Mine stopped working two years ago. I bought a R134a retrofit kit, used it, and its worked for over a year now. Plus it only cost $30.

Comment

Oh, ok. I guess I won't have to bother with that then.
                  1995 Grand Am GT
                  3400 V6 / 4T60-E / Engine Swap
                  3400 Engine Swap Guide Version 2.5 is Available!
                  www.3400swap.com

Comment

If I can get my A/C working for under $100 I'll be one happy badass.

Comment

used the 134 recharge kit on mine as well $34 at advanced auto, blows ice cold after not working for 8 months.

1995 Monte Carlo LS
                      3400 SFI 60v6
                      FFP Underdrive Pulley, S&S Headers, LSD, ODBII Swap, DHP

Comment

Working...
                      X