3.1 into a 2.8 s-10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.1 into a 2.8 s-10

I'm new to the site and was wondering if it is possible to put a 3.1 from a corsica into a 2.8 s-10. I can get the engine and tranny for 50 bucks and I have an s10 I need to put a motor into. I need to know if it would take alot of customizing to get it in there or if it would just bolt right in there. Also need to know if the motor will bolt to a 2.8 tranny (Ihave 2, an automatic from a '85 2.8 and a 5-speed from an '89 2.8.
    Any info would be appreciated
    90 - 4.2L Jeep YJ (DD & weekend offroader)
    91 - 3.1L Beretta GT (Project Car)
    89 - 2.8L 6000 (Former DD, now Moms car)

I don't know for sure, but the engine should bolt right in, and into the tranny as well. This being said there are many other things you'd need to do. The intake from the 3.1 would be facing backwards which would be the main problem.

It can be done, other people that know more will help

Comment

Thanks, I figured for 50 bucks I might as well give it a try

Comment

First of all I hope you still have the 2.8L in the truck. If you do you can literally swap EVERYTHING over to the 3.1L and it will bolt back in. You need to use the 2.8L heads to.

But there are still issues left. FWD blocks do not have the holes for the RWD motor mounts. I believe the bosses are still there so you can drill and tap thoes. Also the starter of a FWD motor is on the wrong side so you will need to drill and tap for that too. If the motor is dirt cheep it will probabally be worth the extra work.
        1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
        1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
        Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

The motor is out of the truck, but its still together in my garage. I figured i would give the swap a try as long as there is not many mods to do it. I'm doing the swap in my driveway and don't own a welder so complicated mods are out of the question. I would be a little hesitant to drill into the block, but it doesn't seem like it would be a difficult swap.

Comment

To use the FWD engine, as you propse to do is quite a bit more involved than I think you realize.

The left mount (driver side) will need to be custom, no ifs, ands or buts about it, the block is quite different in this area, between a FWD and RWD block.

Starter mounting requires some very accurate measurements and drilling and tapping, along with some welding onto the cast block, which is difficult at best.

Using the genII intake poses it's own problems, it will have to be turned around and will require the use of the S-10 front cover, water pump and accessories, which will also require some custom adaptors and mounts that bolt to the heads, as they use a different bolt spacing for the brackets. The front cover also needs some slight machining at the top to clear the genII thermostat housing.

Exhaust will be an issue, since while the port shape and spacing remain the same, teh bolt pattern is spaced a little differently, and there just isn't quite engough material to the S-10 manifolds to slot them and still seal well.

If you use the S-10 heads, you will have very low static compression ration, I think it was in the neigbourhood of 6.2:1 or so. The Iron head design uses a larger combustion chamber in the head with flat top pistons, while the genII design uses a smaller combustion chamber and a dish to the pistons.

The GenII intake does not have adiquate clearance for a distributer and will require the use of the DIS ignition and matching ECM.

Because of the block differences I decided to use a RWD 2.8 block for my swap, I had to make a cutom crank trigger to run the DIS ignition, and make and adapt other parts to work. I also used a genIII top end, originally I planned on a genII top end.

This swap is not for the faint of heart, as there will be some custom parts needed. The block does not have the bosses for the RWD engine mounts on the left side, ignition and ECM will be an issue, oh and the oil pan and pick-up will need to be changed to clear the crossmember.

Comment

Oh shit Raven I totally forgot about the difference in pistons. Well yea then this swap would be a total pain. Not as easy as I think he is looking for. And I thought that the blocks still had the bosses. Well if not than that is really shitty.

I would trade that motor in at a junkyard and see if you can get a 1990 to 1992 3.1L or 1993 to 1995 3.4L from a Camaro. You probabally wont be able to trade straight across but at least you might get a good deal. Also see if you can trade the old 2.8L is as a core.
              1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
              1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
              Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

for the starter issue, coudn't you just use a trans from an isuzu to avoid re-drilling and tapping starter holes?

Cliff Scott
                89 BerettaGT
                89 Volvo740
                Cliff Scott
                89 BerettaGT
                04 AleroGX

Comment

Originally posted by Cliff8928
                  for the starter issue, coudn't you just use a trans from an isuzu to avoid re-drilling and tapping starter holes?

Cliff Scott
                  89 BerettaGT
                  89 Volvo740
                  You probably could, but I don't know enough about the specifics of those trannies to know if drivesahft length will be an issue or not.

For 5 speeds, a certain year Camaro (sorry I don't know the year), has both side starter openings, and could be used, but it also piches the tranny at an angle that will make the shifter come through thr floor at an angle.

Comment

I would think that would be an earlier camaro, back in the day when they used the 2.5 (did 2.5s ever have the starter on the other side?!?)

Cliff Scott
                    89 BerettaGT
                    89 Volvo740
                    Cliff Scott
                    89 BerettaGT
                    04 AleroGX

Comment

I think I might just stick with doing a v-8 swap into it, Sadly it would be easier and I would get more power. Thanks for all the help, I figured I would check It out before I decided to get into it. I don't have all the resources to be able to do this kind of swap right now. Its also alot harder for not much gain.

Comment

is there a truck that this swap might work with, I've never heard of any FWD truck. I am still thinking of getting the motor becuse its in pretty good shape and a cheap price.

Comment

Buy the motor and find a Z34 that has a blown engine (I found 2 at one dealership once ) Theres a solution for you, and you'd have a cool looking car to boot.

I'd rename it a Z31 though

Comment

I have a few projects I'd like to do right now but I'm in school and broke.

Comment

You live in Southern Ontario? The place that had the 2 Z34s with bad engines was the big Chev dealership in Aylmer. They had good bodies/interiors and were under $1000 or something.

Comment

Working...
                              X