Actual debut of Gen II engines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Actual debut of Gen II engines

I understand that the generally accepted year of introduction for the Gen II engines 1987. I have the Last year of the Gen I J-body (1987), and my stock engine was a Gen I. So what's up with that?

So you mean you have an iron head engine in your 87? That's odd... Maybe someone swapped it.

Comment

That's right, it's original to the car. I was just as surprised as anyone. The only thing I can think is that maybe my car was manufactured early and they transitioned the engines that model year. However, I am sure of two things, the engine is original to the car, and it has iron heads, which were also stock.

Comment

are you sure it's a 87?

Cliff Scott
        89 BerettaGT
        89 Volvo740
        Cliff Scott
        89 BerettaGT
        04 AleroGX

Comment

Also, how do you know for sure that it is original to the car?

Comment

You would check the code on the engine block... it should correspond with a certain part of the VIN.... And also check the emissions label under the hood... it should say something to the effect of: This Vehicle conforms to US EPA Emissions for the 1986 model year.

Cliff Scott
            89 BerettaGT
            89 Volvo740
            Cliff Scott
            89 BerettaGT
            04 AleroGX

Comment

Got pics?

Comment

maybe it was a '87 model built in late '86 and they had some spare parts...
                Brian

'95 Cutlass Supreme- "The Rig"
                3400 SFI V6, 4T60e
                Comp Cam grind, LS6 valve springs, OBD2 swap, Tuned
                2.5" DP/ 2.5" dual exh/ Magnaflow Cat/ crap mufflers/ 3500 Intake manifold/ 65mm TB
                TGP steering Rack/ 34mm Sway Bar/Vert STB/ KYB GR2's

'08 Chevy Trailblazer SWB 1LT "Smart Package"- LH6 5.3L V8/4L60e, A4WD

Comment

Working...
                X