Gaskets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gaskets

I have a set of lower gaskets with pushrod guides i would like to put them on a 2000 lower intake but not sure if they made the lower runners bigger too and if the 2000 gasket would be bigger.The pre -2000 lower gasket fits when i hold them up to the head but not much to port out thats all.Just wondering if the 2000 lower gasket would give me more to port out?
    1995 Cutlass Supreme 3100 SFI
    Cold Air K&N Filter
    58mm TB
    Dynomax Duel Exhaust with Performance Catalytic Converter
    FFP Underdrive Crank Pulley
    1/4 mile 15.65 at 90.8 mph

IIRC, you won't see much of a difference in port size between the 2 gaskets.
    -Brad-
    89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
    sigpic
    Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

what i do is this:

i use the new gaskets to keep the taller port opening, but they have that plastic guides for the pushrods on the gasket.
      with using the old guideplate setup to get around this, i Cut the 3 tabs off that are used on the exhaust side pushrod guides on the gasket, just take a pair of side cutters and carefully snip the tabs off.
      works like a charm

also..on my engine with using the 1.6:1 comp rollers, what happens is the intake pushrods sit closer to the gasket, whereby the pushrods rub against the intake gasket guides as well....
      so i cut those tabs off as well.. however this has an adverse affect, it weakens the gasket rigidity. makes the gasket weak or want to sag over time. i tear the engine apart so many times a year it doesnt matter to me however.
      Colin
      92 Sunbird GT, 3200 Hybrid 13.99@ 95.22 (2004)
      90 Eagle Talon TSi AWD 10.54 @ 129mph.

Comment

So basically just cut the push rod guides off you don't have them on the new gaskets anyway ,maybe also to keep the taller port opening all just exacto a bit off the gasket.These are GM Gaskets with hard black rubber then soft blue on the inside.
        Cold Air K&N Filter
        58mm TB

Comment

yes just cut the tabs/guides off the Gaskets to make them basically the same as the older "ball and stud" 1st design style gaskets.

yeah those are the black plastic gaskets with the rubber (some new GM gaskets are black rubber as well as blue rubber) suround.

an exacto wont cut it... litterally, take a side cutter and cut the tabs off. be very carefull to not break or damage the gasket, as with if you break the black plastic on a coolant or intake port. well your in for a heap of trouble if you use it.
          Colin

Comment

CUTS

THESE ones
            Cold Air K&N Filter
            58mm TB

Comment

Wait now I am putting these gaskets in my engine as we speak The top guides looked close maybe even rubbing. Is this gonna be a problem or will the push rod just wear into the guide and every thing will be fine.

Comment

Yup the those ones. cut them at the base of the main gasket.
                Colin

Comment

i sure wish my digi cam hadnt crapped out on me, that or if the bastards would get it fixed... (been 4 weeks waiting now... ) i'd have some pics for you.
                  Colin

Comment

Sorry I am doing this on a stock rebuild, will that make a difference?

Comment

no, on a stocker, there is no need to change a thing. i had to change things due to the different rockers i used, (old style rocker setup) same with Jweir22.
                      Colin

Comment

Working...
                      X