Torque specs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Torque specs

What are the correct torque specs for stamped rockers on a 3100. I just rebuilt my top end and I am gettting alot of chatter. I think the Haynes book says 18ft\lbs.

And yes, that is correct. All of those specs are from a GM Service Manual.
    -Brad-
    89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
    sigpic
    Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

Sorry man I check the site don't know how I missed that!! LOL Then what could be causing the chatter?

Comment

What all did you do to the top-end? If you took out the lifters, or put new ones in, it could be them just getting back up to pressure. I'm sure there are a few other things it could be. Just lemme know what all you did...
        -Brad-
        sigpic

Comment

I basically just did a gasket kit down to the head gaskets because my intake gasket was leaking horrible. I left the lifters alone and took care to be careful with torque specs and tightening patterns. The only performance mod that I did is shave the heads .015 to get a slight CR incease. Now the chatter is definately coming from the valve train but it is all of them not just one or two so I am lost as to what the prob can be.

Comment

Its possible that .015 shave threw off the lifter preload. Define chatter, is it a loud tick that varies with Engine RPM?
            I modify stuff

Comment

Yeah you can hear clacking almost like a sewing machine when it is running but it is all the cylinders and it speeds up as the engine revs.

Comment

The pushrods are different lengths for exhaust and intake.. Do you have them all correct?
                1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
                1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
                Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

What are the pushrod lengths? I am pulling the front valve cover tonight to check because it has come down to that or maybe oil delivery.

Comment

Yeah, it's all on the site... you just have to know where to look.
                    -Brad-
                    sigpic

Comment

LOL, Ok so I'm blind! Thank's man! I hope it is something this simple, it may not be good but certainly easy to fix. Some one on w-body.com forum said to maybe adjust the valve springs...I can't see how that would be possible, there is only a spring with a retainer and the valve.

Comment

Ok so I pulled the front valve cover and I took a look at the rockers valves and pushrods. they all seem to be fine and I now think the noise is coming from maybe deeper. Could a bad lifter make the engine sound like a sewing machine, LOL. That would really suck after just throwing a gasket kit in!!

Comment

Working...
                        X