cam regrind...what exactly is it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cam regrind...what exactly is it?

So, what exactly does a cam regrind include? How is it machined? Everyone throws this term around.....but....I don't know what it is, other than it isn't as good as 'normal' aftermarket cam.
    -1996 Beretta
    3400 SFI / 4T60-E

-1991 Grand Prix SE
    3.4L DOHC / HM-284

They simply regrind the cam. Taking material off in certian areas to change the profile.

For instance if you took material off the base circle of the cam well then the lift would increase. It does this because you lowered the "zero" point so now the difference between that and the top of the lobe now increases. Thus increasing overall lift.
    1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
    1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
    Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

they take a stock cam, and re grind the lobes to different specs... when they do this they make the base circle of the cam smaller and thus the valvetrain geometry is different than stock, which can result in problems
      3.4L camaro some goodies

Comment

I dont follow......

By grinding 'zero' lower.....how does this make more lift? Sure the difference is more....but the max lift is the same. How do they compensate? Longer pushrods? Valve stems?
        -1996 Beretta
        3400 SFI / 4T60-E

-1991 Grand Prix SE
        3.4L DOHC / HM-284

Comment

yeah, custom pushrods are usually needed with a regrind, since the valvetrain geometry is different. Like they said, the base circle is lower, so the lifter is farther down in the block when the valve is closed (cam at base circle), so a custom lenght pushrod is needed to keep stock geometry. Since the lifter is farther down in the block, the overall lift of the cam (lobe height minus base circle height, basically) is greater, meaning more overall lift. HTH
          Robby Whitesell
          2006 Pontiac G6 GT
          1985 Toyota Pickup DLX

Comment

Think about it this way... if Lift = Lobe - Base, then reducing Base increases Lift.

Comment

Oh I understand the fact that if yu lower the base, then you get more lift.....I just didn't know what exactly was involved from there to get the proper valve train geometery.
              -1996 Beretta
              3400 SFI / 4T60-E

-1991 Grand Prix SE
              3.4L DOHC / HM-284

Comment

Working...
              X