Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which way to go...

Hello,

I've recently purchased a 93 sonoma with 230K miles on it. It's a 2.8L 5-speed. I did get a great deal on the truck, but before i start driving the life out of that 2.8 i need to have something in the garage ready to put in it's place. My first thought is to purchase a used 3.4 from a wrecked 93-95 camaro. Some questions though. Is switching over to sfi from TB worth the trouble? Or am i better off just doing the standard long block swap? I know that the GM HT 3.4 has a low end torque cam. But the 3.4 from the camaro will have a roller cam correct? Is there a simular roller cam available? Also, is there even a forged crank available for these 60degreev6 engines?

okay there were a bunch of questions piled in there. from surfing the board there seems to be quite a few folks with some experience so i'll thank you in advance for your advise :-)

TIA

Keith Grant
    True power comes from above!!!

No the Camaro DOES NOT have a roller camshaft

You will never ever need a forged crank unless you ar making 400lbs+ of torque

I highly suggest the 3.4L swap. SFI is your choice. Personally for the headache you would get from it just use TBI much easier and simpler system. Put on a 4.3L TBI and bore the manifold to match. It will have plenty of power.

Depending on the milage of the Camaro cam you can choose to keep it or replace it with a Crane Comp Lunati, GM or whatever you desire.
    93 is a great truck to have as it is not stuck in the years where there was weird changes in main seals and oil pan styles...

Here is the swap info http://members.shaw.ca/betterthanyou...ine%20swap.htm
    And the 4.3L TBI info http://members.shaw.ca/betterthanyou/28to43/28to43.htm
    1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
    1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
    Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

Thanks for clearing up the cam confusion. Sounds like that will be the way to go, i just thought that it may look kinda unique under the hood with that v-shaped intake manifold from the SFI. Aside from having to upgrade the fuel pump and pulling the wiring harness/ecm from the donor car, what else causes the headaches? tuning? or what?

Thanks again for your help

Keith Grant
      True power comes from above!!!

Comment

Parts of the new harness will have to be adapted to the truck harness also the Camaro ECM have a vehicle anti theft system in them that has to be modified or removed from the ECM program in order for the vehicle to run.

Basically I am saying go TBI because everything on the truck is ready to go with TBI. No modding required and it will then be a plug-and-play swap. But like I said if you feel like it go for it. I kept my TBI and added a 4.3L size throttle body on my 3.4L and the truck hauls ass. In my opinion is is probabally making as much or more than the Camaro SFI did.
        1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
        1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
        Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

Working...
        X