LS1
    1.7" 106#
    1.3" 177#
    Coil Bind 1.290

LS6
    1.7" 121#
    1.3" 203#
    Coil Bind 1.269

Coil binds aren't true coil bind but rather the max measurement my machinist felt was safe. LS6 went to 1.168 or so (memory).
    Ben
    60DegreeV6.com
    WOT-Tech.com

Ahhh you did some math on the LS springs. But what did you use for a spring rate since they are a variable rate?
    1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
    1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
    Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

I had them tested at the machine shop
      Ben
      60DegreeV6.com
      WOT-Tech.com

Comment

good info. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Were the springs tested new or used? What part number LS6 spring did you test? There have been three different versions ('01, P/N 12565117, '02+, P/N 12565313, and the LS2, P/N 12586484, which service replaces the '02+LS6 part). The '01 is not supposed to be as stiff as the other two.

How did you measure coil bind? On the beehive springs, they are designed to run into partial bind, since the cools bind progressively, starting at the top. True coil bind is when all the coils are stacked solid. This is different from a straight spring, where bind height occurs when any two coils touch. The numbers you show for the LS6 seems off, since with an installed height of 1.8", and bind height of 1.269, this only gives you 0.531" of lift before bind. The '01 LS6 ran 0.525" valve lift stock, and the '02+ was 0.551".

Marty
          '99 Z-28 - Weekend Driver
          '98 Dodge Neon - Winter Beater
          '84 X-11 - Time and Money Pit
          '88 Fiero Formula - Bone stock for now

Quote of the week:
          Originally posted by Aaron
          This is why I don't build crappy headers. I'm not sure, I don't know too much about welding.

Comment

Used stock and used LS1 though by used, im not talking very long. Still, its used. LS6 is the yellow spring, new. I didnt measure the coil bind myself so all I can say is that I told him coil bind, and he clamped it down and measured it. I have the wire thickness numbers as well.

Lorenzo is running down to 1.164 on his green ls6 spring, so either the green spring coil binds lower, he is damaging his valvetrain severely, or coil bind at the shop was measured to where he felt was the safest you could go. BUt I didnt test a green spring so its hard to say.
            Ben
            60DegreeV6.com
            WOT-Tech.com

Comment

I love my green springs.. even though they are not green anymore!!!!!!!!
              Lorenzo
              '11 DODGE Challenger R/ T Classic 57M6 Green with Envy "Giant Green Squid"
              '92 PONTIAC Grand Prix SE 34TDCM5 "Red Lobster"

Comment

I thought LS1 springs have an open pressure of about the same as stock 3x00? So this test proves that's not the case....interesting!
                Brian

'95 Cutlass Supreme- "The Rig"
                3400 SFI V6, 4T60e
                Comp Cam grind, LS6 valve springs, OBD2 swap, Tuned
                2.5" DP/ 2.5" dual exh/ Magnaflow Cat/ crap mufflers/ 3500 Intake manifold/ 65mm TB
                TGP steering Rack/ 34mm Sway Bar/Vert STB/ KYB GR2's

'08 Chevy Trailblazer SWB 1LT "Smart Package"- LH6 5.3L V8/4L60e, A4WD

Comment

Those coil bind specs I posted aren't coil bind. They are max that my machinist felt was safe. LS6 went to 1.168 or so but it was crushed at that point. Just wanted to clear that up for anyone using this for reference.
                  Ben
                  60DegreeV6.com
                  WOT-Tech.com

Comment

ok so on this note...could i run .533 lift with .060 ls seats and not worry about coil bind with the ls6 yellow springs on my stock 3400 heads

Comment

Lorenzo ran .53x on his so its the most I would go. They aren't quite .060 though if you use the GM seats.
                      Ben
                      60DegreeV6.com
                      WOT-Tech.com

Comment

yah i measured them with teh comp ls seats and the seats are about .060...very close, and also i cant use the titanium retainers i got for the ls6 springs on my valves, the stem doesnt stick up high enough to contact the rocker, it sits below the retainer upper lip just like superdave had on his...so i guess i get to take them back and just use the hardened steel locks and the stock retainers

Comment

What titanium retainers are you using? I had no issues with the comp set.
                          Ben
                          60DegreeV6.com
                          WOT-Tech.com

Comment

they are pn 788-12 they are for the 26915 and 26918 springs so i dont know why they wont work with mine, also they are kinda hard to get in, i have to use the spring compressor to press them in the top of the spring

Comment

Originally posted by gectek View Post
                              they are pn 788-12 they are for the 26915 and 26918 springs so i dont know why they wont work with mine, also they are kinda hard to get in, i have to use the spring compressor to press them in the top of the spring
                              I noticed that the LS1 style retainers i bought from Comp didn't fit in the LS6 yelows very well.

I'd get the black steel LS1/6 retainers with the matching locks.. then the 26915 springs. they're better than the LS6's and will let you run your .533 safely.

with .015 shims, LS6 yellows and stock retainers the machine shop said .500 or so was the highest he'd run with coil bind at .560 lift. I don't know how accurate that was but i didn't want to chance it.
                              Past Builds;
                              1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
                              1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
                              Current Project;
                              1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

Working...
                              X