No announcement yet.

Info needed for hybrid buildup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For one thing basically, due to no priority main feed oiling, basically, you would be helping to going against the oil supply for the bearings.

Also, roller cams love oil. Ever think about this, those little rollers on the lifters right-now, if the roller circumference was 1/4 the cam lobe diameter it would turn at 4 times the cam speed. Which would make the rollers spin at 2x the crank speed. (4x cam speed, the cam runs at half of the crank's speed) Which means, at 7000 RPMs those rollers could be turning at 14000RPMs or more, crazy, eh? Most of them aren't that small though.

Sorry to babble on like that.

-Dave
    If I seem Crazy it is because, I am insane. No lie. Ask my psychiatrist. But, i have good intentions. sometimes.

Comment

uhh... doesn't the cam spin at 1/2 the crank speed...

Cliff Scott
      89 BerettaGT
      89 Volvo740
      Cliff Scott
      89 BerettaGT
      04 AleroGX

Comment

4x cam speed is 2x crank speed.

camspeed = 1/2(crankspeed)
        therefore
        4(camspeed) = 2(crankspeed)

if the roller circumference was 1/4 the cam lobe diameter it would turn at 4 times the cam speed. Which is equal to 2x the crank speed.
        I see how what was said could be misinterpreted, but "Which is equal to..." I take as referring to the speed of the rollers, not the cam speed.
        60v6's original Jon M.

Comment

I cut apart a olds 307 roller lifter and there is no passage for oil leading to the roller. Im guessing thisis the same as a 3x00 lifter, both gm and look to be similar in construction. With roller bearings the actual surface slideing is very small, because of the roller action. Im guessing that they are lubricated by oil spray off the crank.

anywhoo, im a bit lost the hydralic roller lifters wont work because the block wont supply enough oil to keep them pumped up?

I though you couldent(shouldent) use a hydralic cam grind with a soid lifter/ vise versa. are there aney aftermarket grinds avalabel?

I dount mean to be a pain what are my alternative options, i like the idia of a roller cam.
          80 chevette, 86 2.8 mpfi,5 speed, much more to come.

Comment

I thought the roller lifters had a small flat on one side that allowed some of the oil to be directed down to the cam lobe? I could be wrong...it has been a while since I looked at the lifters.

There is a difference in lobe profiles between a solid and hydraulic grind. The hydraulic has the benefit of the oil to act as a cushion as the lifter hits the ramp of the lobe, so the profile can generally be pretty aggressive. The solid profiles have a very slight ramp right before the lobe starts to ramp aggressivly. This slight ramp is to take up the valvetrain lash. There is the same thing on the backside of the lobe to keep the lifter from bouncing when it comes back down.

You could run a hydraulic cam with solid lifters, but the valvetrain will be noisy, and the cam is going to wear out quicker if the lifter is bouncing. I'm not sure if you could run the hydraulic lifter with a solid cam...I don't know anybody who has tried.

Marty
            '99 Z-28 - Weekend Driver
            '98 Dodge Neon - Winter Beater
            '84 X-11 - Time and Money Pit
            '88 Fiero Formula - Bone stock for now

Quote of the week:
            Originally posted by Aaron
            This is why I don't build crappy headers. I'm not sure, I don't know too much about welding.

Comment

Originally posted by 2_8_mpfi_chevette
              I am also needing information. I want to build a hybrid motor for my chevette(hey dont laugh 1900lbs+2.8 is a lot faster than a honda) i have a 2.8 from a 86 camaro currently. I want to move up to a 3.1 as well. I have a set of 97 3.1 heads and a roller cam setup. From what i hear they will bolt up i just need to get the intake and manifolds to match,right? What will i need to do with pistons? gaskets? pushrods? am i on the right track here?? any help or advice would be great.
              Chevrolet did experiment with a v6 chevette. Dunno where you would find history on it.

Comment

Found a site on a V6 chevette: http://chevettes-at.canadianwebs.com/custom.html

Comment

"small flat on one side that allowed some of the oil to be directed down to the cam lobe?"

The stock 660 roller lifters have a flat on the side that is generally used for stopping the lifter from spinning in it's bore when used with lfter retantion bars. Although, i believe that they also drip oil to the rollers. Stock hydraluic lifters have a flat in the side that oils the lobe and lifter surfaces.

-Dave
                  If I seem Crazy it is because, I am insane. No lie. Ask my psychiatrist. But, i have good intentions. sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by RidgeRunner
                    Also, isn't there a S10 bellhousing that works with the FWD engines? late model 2.2, I believe.
                    yup, and a 3.8 f body has the starter on the fwd side too
                    1995 camaro 3.4 5-speed

Comment

Working...
                    X