ok guys need your screw up pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ok guys need your screw up pics

yep, those of you who have put pushrods in backwards id like pics of the carnage. my uncle has a bu' with the 3100 small port, he put large port manifolds on it (lim was shot so he done it wile it was down) he put the rear pushrods in backwards and it wouldnt run at all, he cranked on it for days. well now he turned them around and now it wont run, poping and cracking. pushrods not bent but i GUARANTEE its a freaking valve or piston or something. but they sware its not a fucking interferance motor. so can you prove it by either stories or pics? thanx guys
    sigpic

backwards? You mean intake and exhaust mixed up?
    Ben
    60DegreeV6.com
    WOT-Tech.com

Comment

i work at a gm dealer and have seen a few people screw up. the engine will buck and missfire at idle. ive also heard of pushrods bending as well while this is happening. i myself havent done it
      [SIGPIC]
      12.268@117... 11's to come!
      turbo 3400: 358whp and 365tq at 9 psi
      ASE Master Technician. GM Certified.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ibU1k8UZoo
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUqJyopd720

Comment

yes he got a couple of them backwards. and now there trying to say that its getting to much air to run because of the bigger intakes and blah blah blah. gah so much b.s. heres what i can tell you. it wouldnt run unless you held it WOT and it would just sound like it was hitting on about 4 cyls. and it was backfiring through the intake and ect. well they got in there and fixed the pushrods now it runs, just misses and shit. and its blowing through the intake box. not like a hair dryer or nothin. but its deffinatly not right lol. idk if they got the pushrods right hell i wasnt even here so im going at it blindly. there goin to do a compression test on it so i can figure out what they done. some one just answer this for me, so they will beleave me. small port 3100 to large port 3400 intake lim and uim will not make it run like shit, miss, buck and go on.
        sigpic

Comment

Large port swap with a stage 1 cam works so yes, its something else. Are they running the stock injectors?
          Ben
          60DegreeV6.com
          WOT-Tech.com

Comment

guaranteed it has bent valves. hearing the backfiring through the intake is going to be your intake valves. but the exhaust could be too. the compression test will tell you
            Last edited by MidnightriderZ24; 03-18-2009, 11:15 PM.
            [SIGPIC]
            12.268@117... 11's to come!
            turbo 3400: 358whp and 365tq at 9 psi
            ASE Master Technician. GM Certified.
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ibU1k8UZoo
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUqJyopd720

Comment

exactly what i told them. hopefully if weather permits we will do a comp. test tommorrow. and yea all the injs and fpr and ect is stock.

on a side note. anyone know if you have to change the computer to take off all that damn california shit? the air pump or whatever.. i want to take it all off.
              sigpic

Comment

no idea on the cali emission shiat...but you've explained exactly what happened to my 3400 when i bent EVERY valve...apparently 660's dont like seeing 9k on the stock valvetrain...damn mis-shifts.

Comment

9K? you are lucky the engine is still in one piece.
                  Past Builds;
                  1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
                  1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
                  Current Project;
                  1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

Originally posted by Superdave View Post
                    9K? you are lucky the engine is still in one piece.

im going off of someones calculations on V6...that at the end of third..if i were to go into second at 85mph..or somewhere around there..that it'd require 9k in second gear...and after watching some youtube videos and how fast the RPM's shoot up when u let go of the clutch...i was no way capable of pushing it back in before my engine reached those RPM's...but yea, i hit every valve...you seen the pics

Comment

well heres what i figured out. the rockers are on wrong. as in the grove arnt in right and there sitting to the sides of the springs. he had some pushrods backwards, and a few other stupid things backwards. so im going to tear into it and see whats up when i get time off work. so far i see that i can get compression with all the rocker arms backed off. so that says no broken valves. but i guess possible bent ones. we will see
                      sigpic

Comment

I bent all of my valves from having the timing off before.

The shop I used to work in, one of the mechanics swapped 2 pushrods on accident (intake and exhaust), and it bent the valves, and broke the pushrod. We had to send the head off of to have them checked, and the valve replaced.

Normally, these engines are NOT interferance engines, but that is under NORMAL circumstances, and not due to error or stupidity.

As for my own bout of stupidity, I now have custom valve reliefs on my pistons from my timing accident (I have indents on my pistons where the valves hit the pistons and bent).

If you look closely at the pic of my piston, you can see the marks on each side. All six pistons are that way.

Taylor
                        1988 Olds Cutlass Supreme 3100 MPFI
                        1990 Pontiac Grand Prix STE 3.1 MPFI
                        1994 Olds Cutlass Supreme convertible
                        1998 Lincoln Mark VIII
                        "find something simple and complicate it"

Comment

Originally posted by 1meanz View Post
                          well heres what i figured out. the rockers are on wrong. as in the grove arnt in right and there sitting to the sides of the springs. he had some pushrods backwards, and a few other stupid things backwards. so im going to tear into it and see whats up when i get time off work. so far i see that i can get compression with all the rocker arms backed off. so that says no broken valves. but i guess possible bent ones. we will see
                          Maybe he got lucky and since the slot was turned the wrong way and the rocker wasn't down where it was supposed to be, maybe it will come out without any bent valves.
                          -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
                          91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
                          92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
                          94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
                          Originally posted by Jay Leno
                          Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

well evidently he has some bent valves or something, because with with the rocker arms backed all the way off it still has no compression, and thats with the pushrods right. so we will see.
                            sigpic

Comment

DOH! I was hoping for the best. Fixing someone elses mistake is always worse then fixing your own.
                              -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
                              91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
                              92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
                              94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
                              Originally posted by Jay Leno
                              Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Working...
                              X