No announcement yet.

Do the 3x00s have a vibration dampers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do the 3x00s have a vibration dampers?

I was looking at the MRZ performance underdrive pulley. (it's for a fwd 2.8/3.1 and 3x00 engine) I have a 3.4 rwd engine. These pulleys don't include a vibration damper. And I was wondering if 3x00 engines even have dampers?

Thanks,

Tom

Yes there is a little rubber ring between the inner hub and the outer belt surface. I have actually seen one come apart while still on the car (a very neglected 3.3L), although they do seem to take quite a beating before letting loose.

It has been a great debate about the actual need for the damper. While the 60* is a balanced engine there are always harmonics transmitting through the rotating assembly that could cause severe damage. On the other side many people have used the solid aluminum pulleys without any known damage for tens of thousands of miles.

It seems to be a matter of personal choice. If I were building a daily driver I wouldn't use one because the added expense and minimal gains would in my opinion be worthless for a daily driver. On a beater like my car I would consider it because I intend on going though several motors and tearing the car apart fairly often. I have spend a great deal of time and to a lesser degree money on improving the performance of the car and with low HP and even lower amount of aftermarket, I will take what I can get to reach my goals.

I'm sure doing a search will bring up a few threads on the subject. I would suggest reading it all and decide for yourself.

Comment

ive seen 3400, 3100 balancers take shits left and right. but on higher mile motors.
      [SIGPIC]
      12.268@117... 11's to come!
      turbo 3400: 358whp and 365tq at 9 psi
      ASE Master Technician. GM Certified.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ibU1k8UZoo
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUqJyopd720

Comment

Working...
      X