Gas odor from FP test port?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas odor from FP test port?

Yesterday my '01 Impala (3400) was in the shop because it was running poorly. The problem turned out to be a bad cat converter but as part of the diagnostic process the fuel pressure was tested. Today I noticed a strong gasoline odor when I drove to work, and when I checked under the hood I noticed that it was strongest around the pressure test port and the port was uncapped.

Does the port have an internal Schrader-style valve that would allow a little bit of vapor to get by? My guess is that the valve actually stops fuel from spewing out while the cap acts as a second-level safety device and vapor barrier. I'll probably go to NAPA at lunch and pick up a rubber or plastic cap to use temporarily until I either retrieve the missing cap from the shop or buy a new one.

Am I on the right track here? Thanks!

Brad

Yes, the port is a schrader valve. Not sure if it would allow vapors to pass. Most likely guess would be that whoever did the maintenance dumped a bit of fuel while connecting/disconnecting the pressure tester and didn't bother to clean it up.
    -Brad-
    89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
    sigpic
    Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

After driving around a bit at lunch the fitting was wet, so right now it looks like the Schrader valve might not be sealing 100%. I picked up the cap at the shop on the way home this afternoon so hopefully it'll solve the problem.

For all I know the valve might've been faulty from day one and all this time the cap's been preventing any leaks.

Brad

Comment

You can replace the valve easily with a tool that costs a couple dollars. I wouldn't suggest just capping it without at least putting teflon tape around it. Flamable and hot materials don't mix nice, ask Brad
        Links:
        WOT-Tech.com
        FaceBook
        Instagram

Comment

Hmmm...good point.

GM doesn't sell the cap separately, only as part of a kit that also includes a new valve. $40 or so, but that's a small price to pay compared to replacing an entire car, even if it is just a plain-jane Impala.

It should be good and dry by morning so I'll keep an eye on it tomorrow.

Brad

Comment

$40?

You can buy the tool and a replacement valve for less than 1/2 that It's the same tool/valve as whats in your tire stems, just make sure the oring color is the same. In fact, the valve may be loose, and is fine...
            Links:
            WOT-Tech.com
            FaceBook
            Instagram

Comment

Heat and flammable liquids equals...

-Brad-
              89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
              sigpic
              Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

Brad, naw, that's just the easy way to strip all the insulation off your wiring harness
                Links:
                WOT-Tech.com
                FaceBook
                Instagram

Comment

Working...
                X