1995 Lumina bad LIM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1995 Lumina bad LIM?

Before I begin I want to say Ive been through 20+ pages and this site is amazing! Okay, now my boss gave me his 1995 Lumina after the car blew a head gasket. I tore down and replaced everything a few weeks ago. It ran great untill two days ago. My heater vents started blowing cold air when I was moving and warm air when I stopped. Even on high. My low oil light and low coolant light began to come on. I checked the oil and its a little high plus inside the oil fill cap it looks foamy. Also the overflow reservoire was bubbling and coolant seems to have blown out of the radiator once or twice. The hose to the thermostat was hot and firm, but the coolant doesn't seem to be moving at all. Now its not dumping white smoke like it was before. Could this just be the LIM gasket? Also a bad water pump? I really need some help as I suck at diagnosing car problems and usually just get lucky. Thanks!

the only thing in there that would definitely point to a bad LIMg is the foamy oil filler cap... everything else sounds some other issue, dead pump being the most prevalent of the choices. the thermostat could also be causing issues.
    1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
    Latest nAst1 files here!
    Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

I would say warped head and blown head gaskets again. What was done to the heads while they were off?
      Lifting my front wheels, one jack at a time.

Comment

Did you mill the heads or have them checked for cracks? Sounds like a wraped head, and unfortunitly you will have to start over.

Comment

I was thinking warped heads as well...
          -Brad-
          89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
          sigpic
          Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

I did in fact have the heads checked and milled at NAPA. They checked out A Okay. If the previous owner ran this car too long with blown head gaskets could it have caused harm underneath the heads? I'm planning to sell this car for a down payment on a new truck but I hate to sell a lemon. Thanks for the help so far.

Comment

check the heater core lines going from the firewall to the lower intake. also try adding coolant and bleeding the cooling system.
              [SIGPIC]
              12.268@117... 11's to come!
              turbo 3400: 358whp and 365tq at 9 psi
              ASE Master Technician. GM Certified.
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ibU1k8UZoo
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUqJyopd720

Comment

Your Napa checks heads? Did they also presure test them? When you tore it down the first time did you find the bad spot in the old head gasket? did you follow the torque procedure and torque them to the proper amount. if you have coolant in the oil then you have an interanal leak.

Comment

Originally posted by robertisaar View Post
                  the only thing in there that would definitely point to a bad LIMg is the foamy oil filler cap... everything else sounds some other issue, dead pump being the most prevalent of the choices. the thermostat could also be causing issues.
                  I'm not tryna thieve his thread but I have one question, if the heat is warm when driving but not when sitting, that would mean It probably not circulating well enough rite? New water pump and thermostat already.

Comment

Yes weve got a larger Napa with an attached machine shop and they pressure tested and machined my heads. I did in fact find where the gasket had went bad around the two pistons on the very far passenger side (Cant remember numbers). I was very careful to torque everything 2-3 times at spec and exactly how my manual suggested. Im ready to tear it back down this weekend and try again, I just wonder how far Im going to have to go.

Comment

Did your manual tell you 33ft lbs + 90 degrees useing a torque angle gauge? Did you use new head bolts your suposed too but many have gotten away reuseing them. I would try not to run it much with antti-freeze in the oil because it will ruin the bearings. Good luck let us know what was wrong with it when you find out.

Comment

Well I tore it all back down to the block Sunday. The leak was at or around the number 2 cylinder in the rear. The head gasket seems to have zero issues. I torqued everything to spec and used new head bolts. I was actually hoping the head gasket would be ruined so I would know for sure what is wrong. Im about to take my heads back in to get checked over again. I just wonder if this is some sort of issue with the block? Is that even possible? I also found a green single wire near the coil packs that wasn't plugged in. I can't find anywhere for it to go.

Comment

The single green wire goes to the temp sensor in the rear head (driver's side corner). It sends a signal to the gauge cluster temp gauge.
                          -Brad-
                          89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
                          sigpic
                          Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

You need a straight edge and a feeler gauge to check the block. I hope this isn't your problem.

Comment

Working...
                            X