3400/3500 Budget Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3400/3500 Budget Build

Hey everyone, we are starting to build up my motor and I've got a couple of questions. I'm not 100% sure about some things. This summer I picked up that 3500 that was going for $100 on ebay to use it's top end for a hybrid build. It arrived and looked great. Now that I've got some cash, the build has begun.

This week I bought a 2003 3.4 long block that came off a Rendezvous with a bent valve. It supposedly had 110-120 kms. Unfortunately, the scrap yard removed the heads to make sure the pistons were fine and threw them in the scrap pile so I'll never know what happened to that valve. They claim the engine made no funny noises and the guy I dealt with has never screwed me before. He was just going to throw on a new top end and sell it.

So far, it looks ok except for the fact that it was sitting without the LIM and no cover over it under a shelf. I see some dirt on the cam. Any ideas on how to properly flush it? I don't want to have to remove the cam or anything else but the oil pan.

The main thing that has me worried is that the dicks at the yard removed the pushrods and rockers and put them in a box for me. SO, they're all mixed up. I was going to properly note what came from where on the 3500 and install them, but does it make a difference if it's not the same cam? Or I am being too paranoid? Can use the newer, cleaner lifters from the 3500 but leave the same cam in?

Thanks guys. I can also get many pics if needed.

George
    Last edited by montreal; 01-08-2010, 03:26 PM.

These engines use roller cams so the lifter order is not a big deal. You can also use the ones out of the 3500 as long as it is a lx9. While you have the engine out why not clean the whole thing up and put new rings and bearings in it? How many miles did your 3400 have on it? While its apart I would pull the cam and check the cam bearings. Alot of higher 3x00 I've had apart the copper was showing on the cam bearings.

Comment

Yeah, it's an LX9. The 3400 bottom has 110-120 kms on it. It's a bit of a budget build and my engine building skills aren't the best I bought this shortblock because it supposedly ran ok. Hopefully after a flush it'll be ok.

Comment

hi hey your from montreal? I can help you out with you build. I ve got a 3400hybrid in a beretta and If you need help just PM me.
        Mike 60degree addict.
        Beretta 96 3500 - 14.981@ 93.32
        sigpic
        65MM thorttle body, Crank trigger 97 venture ECM and Dhp powrTuner

Comment

Thanks, I will definately let you know if we need anything Guys, I need to know if I can run all the 3500 valvetrain except the cam on my 3.4.

Comment

yes thats exaclty what a hybrid is
            Mike 60degree addict.
            sigpic

Comment

I know. What happened was the scrap yard removed the heads and didn't mark what went were(rods and rockers). If I remove the rockers and pushrods from the 3500 and mark what cylinder they came from would it make a difference when I install them? Or should we just swap in the 3500's cam?

Comment

no difference at all. just make sure that your 3500 is a non VVT one. basicly the 3500 is just a bored 3400 ( with better flowing head and mnifold.)
                Mike 60degree addict.
                sigpic

Comment

Yes, it's an LX9

Comment

so everything is fine and all will bolt up. thats exaclty how myne is setup in my car.
                    Mike 60degree addict.
                    sigpic

Comment

Just make sure you put the exhaust and intake push rods in the right order or you will be bending valves...

Keep in mind the order changes too on them, it doesn't go E,I, E,I repeat, it switches at one cylinder...

Slowly turn it over by hand without the spark plugs to make sure you didn't screw up the order and it's is binding before putting it in the car.

For the cam, I'd pour a lot of oil over the cam to hopefully flush the dirt out, then change the oil soon after starting it and letting it warm up a bit... Might have to drain a little oil depending on how much you pour over the cam before starting. Hopefully the dirt is just dirt and not like metal shavings from a grinder or something...
                      sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
                      1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
                      16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
                      Original L82 Longblock
                      with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
                      Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

I think it's just dirt. It's now on a stand getting cleaned up and it's looking better and better We might pull the cam out though. I want to see if it snapped or something. I'm still trying to figure out how this thing bent a valve

I might be getting some extra $$$ so I was thinking of getting the wot tech street performance cam. I did a little research on the subject but couldn't find clear answer to my question. Can I run this on the stock valve springs? I don't plan on revving past 6000 RPM. I was considering the MPG cam as well.

Comment

Originally posted by montreal View Post
                          I think it's just dirt. It's now on a stand getting cleaned up and it's looking better and better We might pull the cam out though. I want to see if it snapped or something. I'm still trying to figure out how this thing bent a valve

I might be getting some extra $$$ so I was thinking of getting the wot tech street performance cam. I did a little research on the subject but couldn't find clear answer to my question. Can I run this on the stock valve springs? I don't plan on revving past 6000 RPM. I was considering the MPG cam as well.
                          you can do it but its not reccomended... might as well go the whole way then doing only half the job
                          Mike 60degree addict.
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X