2000+ Injectors = CRAP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000+ Injectors = CRAP

I was working on a 2000 3100 yesterday, and this is the newest 3x00 i have worked on yet. I was interested to see that GM switched to some small narrow plastic injectors. When it came time to remove the rail from the LIM, the rail just would not budge. I pried here, and there. I shot the injector O-rings with WD-40 maybe to help loosen them up... nothing. I finally just pried for all she was worth, and said, screw it, something will just have to break... and it did. one injector on each rail broke its little garbage retaining lock, so its not reusable. and left the injector in the LIM. The four injectors that did stick with the rails, shed there black plastic O-rigns AND the black plastic caps that go on the tips, and dropped them right down the intake ports!!! luckily none of those valves were open or I'd be doing a HG job as well. I was able to remove the LIM and then fish out the black caps from the intake ports with a small screwdriver. I had to go to the J/Y today and get some more of the metal retainling locks. Finally, i tried to get the other two injectors out of the LIM. It was on my floor, and i had on leather gloves, and i pulled with everything i had, and i could only get one out!!! The last one eventually came out the same way but not before i said alot of cuss words, and nearly broke it.

So, why in the world did GM go from a nice robust injector that would pull out of the LIM with little resistance to these little petite plastic slivers that look like they'd break if you looked at them wrong? Did i go about doing this all wrong or something? Im telling you, it was rediculous. There must be a better way....
    sigpic
    1991 Chevy Beretta GTZ Quad 4 HO M90 Supercharged Intercooled
    2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport
    2000 Chevy Malibu LS 3100
    1999 Pontiac Grand Am GT 3400

sounds like you just had bad luck, i've pulled Multec 2 injectors out of these engines lots of times and at worst tore an O ring. I usually spray them down with PB Blaster an hour before trying to remove them if it's a crusty engine.

M2's have an improved spray pattern along with a bunch of other improvements.
    Past Builds;
    1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
    1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
    Current Project;
    1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

plastic injectors are cheaper to produce and are as effective as the one they replaced....and besides GM dosen't want you to play in their engine.
      Mike 60degree addict.
      Beretta 96 3500 - 14.981@ 93.32
      sigpic
      65MM thorttle body, Crank trigger 97 venture ECM and Dhp powrTuner

Comment

Originally posted by mickaz View Post
        plastic injectors are cheaper to produce and are as effective as the one they replaced....and besides GM dosen't want you to play in their engine.
        now thats a good point... i didnt think about it like that.
        sigpic
        1991 Chevy Beretta GTZ Quad 4 HO M90 Supercharged Intercooled
        2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport
        2000 Chevy Malibu LS 3100
        1999 Pontiac Grand Am GT 3400

Comment

Any chance for some images of those injectors? I wonder if GM is using some kind of extra sealant on them at the factory that is heat reactive and hardens them into the IM like Super Glue...

Oh... and about trying to find those parts that "Fell down the Rabbit Hole"... I spotted this item on eBay and wondered if our more electronically capable members here could make ass-head-or-tail out of whether this could be modified to work in an Auto Shop application...

Maybe it would work if it was plugged into the end of this thing?

This is the one sold for mechanics now...at a premium, too...

Last edited by 60dgrzbelow0; 04-15-2010, 08:06 PM.

Comment

Dude, boroscopes come in many sizes and features and don't have to cost a lot. Here is just one of many examples . . . http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...6284_200426284

If you ain't rock and roll, you must be driving a Honda

Comment

Originally posted by 86FieroSEv6 View Post
              Dude, boroscopes come in many sizes and features and don't have to cost a lot. Here is just one of many examples . . . http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...6284_200426284
              "Dude"...? I'll see your "Dude"... and raise yours to "Dood"... No Sh*t, Sunshine. The information I offered here is meant for the creative problem solvers and gadget builders, who...like me...like to ponder working on abstract mechanical problems and then building things that solve them. Nobody other than a Proctologist really NEEDS one of these damned things. But sometimes... all the fun is found in just messing around with items like this... and then finding a way of making your own working version. And in this case... there are enough members here who do advanced mods and investigate or study engine power phenomena who just might want one of these "Little Boogers" to toy around with themselves. ( I got this one off of eBay for a paltry $15.00). But If someone followed your dismissive suggestion and used the average "Probe" you mentioned.... it would dwindle and melt like a Popsicle on the Hood of Mr. Pink's Beretta when the Christmas Tree lights pop "Green" and he mashes down the gas pedal with both feet. It requires a "special toy" like this to say... investigate the propagation of flame inside combustion chambers as described here... and using this very same said device to watch it all happen... is necessary..."Dood":

Last edited by 60dgrzbelow0; 04-16-2010, 09:55 PM.

Comment

Nukkinfuttz, did'nt you recently write a wonderful chapter on "How to remove a broken bolt"? Well done...........Tom

Comment

I see . . . so what you were proposing was setting up something to watch the dynamic process in action. I don't recall seeing the qualifier that the "tool" had to be able to withstand operating conditions. Proctologists are actually the minority of users of invasive scope techniques. The mechanical world wins hands down on the use of such devices. I remember watching some TV show a while back about machines and stuff where they had a test cylinder with a "view port" set up to watch the combustion process.

If you ain't rock and roll, you must be driving a Honda

Comment

I don't think the issue you had is with the injectors at all... You had a problem with the 10yr old o-rings getting stuck in the intake... And as some said thats not far off from common... You just need to let them soak with a GOOD robust penetrating oil... WD40 is crap when it comes to that.

Got Lope?
                    3500 Build, Comp XFI Cam 218/230 .050 dur .570/.568 lift 113LSA
                    Fully Balanced, Ported, 3 Angle Valve Job, 65mm TCE TB, S&S Headers.
                    Stage-1 Raybestos/Alto 4t60e-HD, EP LSD, 3.69FDR
                    12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

Working...
                    X