'99 3100 Possible Assembly Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '99 3100 Possible Assembly Problem

I worked with my Son yesterday and torqued the rocker arms, installed the lower intake manifold, upper intake manifold, and rocker arm covers.
    Here's the possible problem: When I installed the heads, I used the Fel-Pro "Problem Solver" head gaskets. I followed the assembly sequence of another engine part, not the head assembly sequence. I followed the Fel-Pro Head Torque Sequence, which turns out to be the same sequence as the FM.
    Yesterday, I saw the FM head sequence section and there is a Figure that says to coat 3 head bolts with sealant. I only used a coating of oil.
    I cannot remember if the Problem Solver gaskets had a rubber seal around the head bolt holes. I'm hoping they do and will work as good as if I put sealant on the head bolts, if thats where the seal is needed.
    Or should I stop right now and disassemble to get sealant on those head bolts?
    They are ARP's and TTY, so I'll have to buy another set of head bolts?
    I know, I know I'm an idiot for not finding that d*mn FM Head assembly section.
    TIA for any solid answers...good or bad.
    jogasz28

'68 RS Camaro,
    Project '69 Camaro in the works
    '95 Monte Carlo Z34 loaded,
    '99 Monte Carlo LS

I'd just use some factory sealer additive and not sweat it. You can get it from Cadillac, they use it in their engines because the amount of growth of the various engine components caused minor leaks too often.

If you ain't rock and roll, you must be driving a Honda

Comment

Originally posted by 86FieroSEv6 View Post
      I'd just use some factory sealer additive and not sweat it. You can get it from Cadillac, they use it in their engines because the amount of growth of the various engine components caused minor leaks too often.
      THANK YOU!!!
      jogasz28

'68 RS Camaro,
      '99 Monte Carlo LS

Comment

After a search, I found this interesting statement in a Cadillac Forum:

much has been written about the coolant pellets. Search using GM coolant supplement or something like that. In any event, the Pellets are simply a sealer or stop leak if you like. There is nothing magic nor mysterious about them. They are simply ground up ginger root and walunt shells and are the same material that BarsLeaks puts in their sealer minus the dark soluable oil. The dry, powdered BarsLeaks "Gold" in the clear plastic tube at Walmart is the exact same material. The sealer or stop leak is recommended for the all aluminum engines due to the increased likelyhood of a tiny seep or leakage due to the difficulty in sealing aluminum at gasketed surfaces and the chance of porosity opening up in the diecast aluminum parts.

Almost every manufacturer of engines installs the cooling system sealer at the factory....Cadillac, Chevy, Gm, Ford, RollsRoyce....etc. The list of buyers that BarsLeaks ships to is long and distinguised. You can even buy the stuff at the Chevy parts counter as Chevies use it too....
        jogasz28

'68 RS Camaro,
        '99 Monte Carlo LS

Comment

I bought the "Lubricant" P/N 12378254 Pellets at the Pontiac Dealer when I bought the other parts.
          At $5.38 I figured I might as well try exactly what the Factories use.
          jogasz28

'68 RS Camaro,
          '99 Monte Carlo LS

Comment

Those GM stopleak pellets definitely work. But don't over-use them, as too much stopleak can clog radiators and heater cores.

As far as bolt sealant goes, I wouldn't worry about it. It won't cause you any problem.

Comment

My 3100 is about 1k miles after new heads and gaskets and I completely missed that step of adding thread sealant to the headbolts. No leaking that I can see. Even if there was I imagine it'd be nothing more than a little seepage.
              1995 Grand Am SE

Comment

I've swapped heads several times on these engines (including less than a month ago), and I've never used sealant. I have always just coated the threads with oil and torqued to spec.
                -Brad-
                89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
                sigpic
                Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

Originally posted by bszopi View Post
                  I've swapped heads several times on these engines (including less than a month ago), and I've never used sealant. I have always just coated the threads with oil and torqued to spec.
                  Ditto.
                  -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
                  91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
                  92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
                  94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
                  Originally posted by Jay Leno
                  Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Originally posted by tractorman View Post
                    Those GM stopleak pellets definitely work. But don't over-use them, as too much stopleak can clog radiators and heater cores.

As far as bolt sealant goes, I wouldn't worry about it. It won't cause you any problem.
                    Thanks for all the replies.
                    How many pellets should I use in a flushed coolant system and top engine rebuilt?
                    Are they just dropped into the Radiator while cool just before first startup after rebuild is complete?
                    How many, if any, should go in when changing coolant ( I change every 2 seasons, whether it needs it or not) ?
                    TIA,
                    jogasz28

'68 RS Camaro,
                    '99 Monte Carlo LS

Comment

Working...
                    X