Timing chain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question : Timing chain

Where can I buy a roller timing chain set for a 3.4L ?
    Nick D.
    '88 Fiero GT 5-spd

The one recommended is "The CLOYES "True Roller" Timing Set" available from RockAuto and Summit. Take a look at my photobucket for all the comparison views and installation images on this replacement/repair. I did mine with the engine mounted on a typical engine stand during a complete engine re-build, but with the replacement of the camshaft involved while the engine is still in the vehicle...it can be only be done on F-Body vehicles or in circumstances of RWD applications. Yours presents with more difficulty with the transverse rear engine design:

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!
    Last edited by 60dgrzbelow0; 01-11-2011, 12:50 PM.

Comment

Thanks, I'll look into it. When I first looked at Rockauto I could not find any. Will search with the info you provided.

Thanks again,
      Nick
      Nick D.
      '88 Fiero GT 5-spd

Comment

You are welcome, Nick. While checking on the Timing Set, consider getting a replacement Timing Chain Guide as well. The wedge-like metal and rubber device tends to be subjected to a lot of heat and exposure to aromatic hydrocarbon vapors and engine oils that will gradually break down the rubber material (or in the case of a badly worn Timing Chain with slack... wear down) and it will fracture with big chunks dropping or breaking off. With the Cloyes "True Roller" Timing set, the new replacement rubberized wedge will be a snug fit, so take your time and be certain to use some Thread Locker on the large cam gear bolts and the two bolts holding the wedge in place on the front of the block. If they send you a version of this "wedge" guide with elevated ridges around the back side of the mounting holes...not to worry...either grind or file them off and down smooth (and clean the item squeaky clean afterward, but before bolting it on) and it should fit perfectly within the space allowed between the two sprockets and the new "bicycle" style Roller Chain.
        Last edited by 60dgrzbelow0; 01-11-2011, 10:48 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the added info!
          Nick D.
          '88 Fiero GT 5-spd

Comment

my timing chain guide wouldn't fit so i just said to hell with it and now im not running one at all

93 Firebird 3.4
            Pacesetter Headers, Flowmaster 80, Comp 1.6 RR,Cloyes 2x Set, P&P Heads & Intakes, Custom Cam, Holley FPR, Ram Air Intake, Posi Rear w/3.42's & Disk Brakes.
            Cam and Heads by 60Inclusive.com

Comment

Wait wait wait....wait, i thought the only double roller timing set anyone could get was from wottech made by TCI, now WTH is this...?
              Get fast, Free Standard Shipping on orders over Summit Racing Equipment from $109 -- no shipping, handling, or rural fees! Exclusions apply.

And what exactly does this mean?
              "Will not fit factory roller camshaft applications, length reduced by -0.005 in., to 6.256 in. standard center distance"
              is that gear center to gear center?
              Last edited by bob442; 01-12-2011, 07:58 PM.

Its runs!!!>>>Aint No 60* Sound Like Mehttp://youtu.be/YKEmNwa141U

Comment

Originally posted by bob442 View Post
                Wait wait wait....wait, i thought the only double roller timing set anyone could get was from wottech made by TCI, now WTH is this...?
                Get fast, Free Standard Shipping on orders over Summit Racing Equipment from $109 -- no shipping, handling, or rural fees! Exclusions apply.

And what exactly does this mean?
                "Will not fit factory roller camshaft applications, length reduced by -0.005 in., to 6.256 in. standard center distance"
                is that gear center to gear center?
                May I suggest a check with Ben at WOT-Tech and see what he is recommending for your particular application. He should have the final word on what works and what will not work. In this case, we are talking about a 3.4L engine that uses hydraulic flat tappets and either standard ball and cup rocker arms or at its best, Compcam's Roller-Tip Rocker Arms as another way to boost performance...either 1.52 or 1:6 rocker lift ratios. I am unclear on whether there is a True Double Roller Timing Chain Set for engines with later model configurations than the 2.8L and 3.4L L-32 V6 engines. These GM V6 engines do not use the more advanced elliptical camshafts and roller-lifters...and if I am not mistaken, they have in-dwelling factory needle bearings in the rocker arms. Trust in what Ben says about this issue. He will know.
                Last edited by 60dgrzbelow0; 01-12-2011, 08:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 60dgrzbelow0 View Post
                  You are welcome, Nick. While checking on the Timing Set, consider getting a replacement Timing Chain Guide as well. The wedge-like metal and rubber device tends to be subjected to a lot of heat and exposure to aromatic hydrocarbon vapors and engine oils that will gradually break down the rubber material (or in the case of a badly worn Timing Chain with slack... wear down) and it will fracture with big chunks dropping or breaking off. With the Cloyes "True Roller" Timing set, the new replacement rubberized wedge will be a snug fit, so take your time and be certain to use some Thread Locker on the large cam gear bolts and the two bolts holding the wedge in place on the front of the block. If they send you a version of this "wedge" guide with elevated ridges around the back side of the mounting holes...not to worry...either grind or file them off and down smooth (and clean the item squeaky clean afterward, but before bolting it on) and it should fit perfectly within the space allowed between the two sprockets and the new "bicycle" style Roller Chain.
                  I'm having trouble trying to find this Cloyes timing set from RockAuto or Summit. My application is for my Fiero, which came with a 2.8L. I want to replace with a 3.4L from a '95 Camaro, will use the ECM from the 2.8L w/updated EPROM. I can find a standard timing set from Cloyes at RockAuto, but not the roller type. Summit doesn't seem to have a set for the 2.8/3.4L.

Am I searching wrong?
                  Nick D.
                  '88 Fiero GT 5-spd

Comment

Bob, first off you need to realize that 3.4L may not be referring to the 3400. There is the 3.4L engine used in a camaro and the S10 upgrade engine which have the three bolt cam gear to my knowledge, not the same as our single bolt one on the 3x00 motors.

so npdimote if your looking for a 3.4L timing chain you should be able to use the 3.1L parts for the camaro, unless you are putting in a 3400 engine, if thats the case the no there are no off the shelf roller chains, just the one that TCE makes which needs some other customization to make fit.

93137 is the set that is said to fit the Camaro 3.1L engine, which I think MAY fit the other 3.1 and 2.8 and possibly the 3.4L engines as long as the center spacing is the same, I'm not positive on that one.

Last edited by 3400-95-Modified; 01-13-2011, 03:49 PM.

Got Lope?
                    3500 Build, Comp XFI Cam 218/230 .050 dur .570/.568 lift 113LSA
                    Fully Balanced, Ported, 3 Angle Valve Job, 65mm TCE TB, S&S Headers.
                    Stage-1 Raybestos/Alto 4t60e-HD, EP LSD, 3.69FDR
                    12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

Yep, its a 3.4L out of a 95 Camaro, not a 3400.
                      In the Fiero community we like to the 3.4L because it maintains the original look with a mild HP gain and is a direct drop in with the starter being the only issue. The starter gets relocated to the other side, otherwise most people can't tell you upgraded from a 2.8L to a 3.4L.

The 3400 requires far more work.
                      Nick D.
                      '88 Fiero GT 5-spd

Comment

Mr. Pink... I most certainly agree... That is precisely the one I referenced using in my engine build (93-95 3.4L 207 C.I.D. L-32 V6). But on reflection, thanks for jogging my memory... I think I know why npdimonte has not been able to find that correct timing set. I think the original Cloyes High Performance Timing "True Roller" Set was actually made FOR his 2.8L Engine... and I chose to use it upon the consulting advice of John (ForcedFirebird) and he was right in how well it worked on the 3.4L L-32 Engine. I believe it might still be available here, noting that the image appears to have the true "Bicycle Style" Roller Link design (and at a very reasonable price, too if they still stock it!):

Although the years/makes differ...here is a another sales reference and view that confirms it is indeed a True Roller Timing Set and indicate "fits the L-32 Engine"

npdimonte... With the idea of searching for it as a "2.8L" True Roller Timing Set ...it might be worth re-checking with RockAuto and Summit to see if they carry the set as well.
                        Last edited by 60dgrzbelow0; 01-15-2011, 08:38 PM.

Comment

You are correct 60dgrz The part I searched for was for the 3.1L thats why my image has a rockauto marker on it

Its $168 IIRC

Got Lope?
                          3500 Build, Comp XFI Cam 218/230 .050 dur .570/.568 lift 113LSA
                          Fully Balanced, Ported, 3 Angle Valve Job, 65mm TCE TB, S&S Headers.
                          Stage-1 Raybestos/Alto 4t60e-HD, EP LSD, 3.69FDR
                          12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

im also getting ready to install one of the cloyes roller set as well considering i have to do the whole water pump to oil pan deal on my car after 6 months of driving before figuring out why it was boiling over but not getting hot then reading up on some of the posts here i felt like homer simpson duo just surprized that the ex didnt blow another motor for me while this was going on but tomorrow is the plan yank it apart since the interior is about done to to move to that

Comment

Birdy... You might add in a new Harmonic Balancer Front Cover Seal...and perhaps a "Redi-Sleeve" Kit if there is a deep groove on the OD of the HB. The "Redi-Sleeve" Kit does not require any fancy machining to install and is a fairly easy and useful pre-emptive repair if the HB is in bad shape. Also...FWIW...purchase a small bottle of Engine Assembly Lube and after the Cloyes Double Roller Timing Set and new Chain Damper are installed with Lok-Tote or Thread-Locker on all the bolts... lugubriously lube (try saying that five times in a row...LOL) down the chain and gear set. After all...you might as well make its first few thousand revolutions as easy on the TS as possible and hopefully the rollers and gear teeth will get along fine, one with another.

Comment

Working...
                              X