No announcement yet.

Homemade Pneumatic Engine Pre-Oiling Machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What about using compressed air to push the oil?

I considered making an oil reserve tank that captures start up oil pressure and holds it until the next start up. Turn the key and open a valve that pressurizes the system rapidly.

Allowing for good oil pressure during initial cranking. The valve would shut once enough idle time has passed, repressurizing the system for next start up....or if the engine sat long enough, prime with a bypass switch to release the pressurized oil into the oil system.

It would be a great component for longetivity.
    1996 Grand Prix | 3100v6 L82 | T04E-50 Turbo | Getrag 282 w/ EP LSD | SPEC-3 Clutch

Comment

Originally posted by TGP37 View Post
      I considered making an oil reserve tank that captures start up oil pressure and holds it until the next start up. Turn the key and open a valve that pressurizes the system rapidly.
      that's essentially an accumulator. and something i have had in mind for quite some time, at least when i have an engine worth the trouble.
      1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
      Latest nAst1 files here!
      Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by robertisaar View Post
        that's essentially an accumulator. and something i have had in mind for quite some time, at least when i have an engine worth the trouble.
        A lot of times I'll have an idea and then learn it's out there already.....more or less simple things. Like an engine bay fire extinguishing system. Hit the red button and put out any engine fire fast. Suppose it would be good for dangerous NOS use, high boost apps, etc.
        1996 Grand Prix | 3100v6 L82 | T04E-50 Turbo | Getrag 282 w/ EP LSD | SPEC-3 Clutch

Comment

I installed a fire suppression system on the Modified Race car I work on and for 400 bones I'm really tempted to install one on my car for the reason you noted... Not so much for the cabin as I installed it on that but I'd put both nozzles in the bay one on each side of the engine.

Engine fires suck, but being able to extinguish one before any major damage is done is a HUGE advantage.

Got Lope?
          3500 Build, Comp XFI Cam 218/230 .050 dur .570/.568 lift 113LSA
          Fully Balanced, Ported, 3 Angle Valve Job, 65mm TCE TB, S&S Headers.
          Stage-1 Raybestos/Alto 4t60e-HD, EP LSD, 3.69FDR
          12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

Originally posted by 3400-95-Modified View Post
            I installed a fire suppression system on the Modified Race car I work on and for 400 bones I'm really tempted to install one on my car for the reason you noted... Not so much for the cabin as I installed it on that but I'd put both nozzles in the bay one on each side of the engine.

Engine fires suck, but being able to extinguish one before any major damage is done is a HUGE advantage.
            Exactly, the engine bay. Could be the difference between a write off versus a $50 part and a recharge of the extinguisher. I wonder if such a system could count towards insurance discounts. Not just for the protection, it says a lot for the operator/owner.

Comment

Originally posted by TGP37 View Post
              I wonder if such a system could count towards insurance discounts. Not just for the protection, it says a lot for the operator/owner.
              I doubt it... Insurance companies hardly care that you may actually care about your vehicle.

We have the RC500 system in the modified.

Last edited by 3400-95-Modified; 04-16-2012, 09:56 AM.

Got Lope?
              3500 Build, Comp XFI Cam 218/230 .050 dur .570/.568 lift 113LSA
              Fully Balanced, Ported, 3 Angle Valve Job, 65mm TCE TB, S&S Headers.
              Stage-1 Raybestos/Alto 4t60e-HD, EP LSD, 3.69FDR
              12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

to prime the lq1 buy one of these http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-5-Gallon-B...item3a7323cb56

Then take the handle off clean and dry the tank out spot less then poor 6 quarts of oil in to the tank. Pressurize the tank to 60 psi. Cut the nozzle off and make an adapter to fit the plug on the side of the block hook her up and pull the trigger. Cheaper then buying a priming tool and in the end you get a kick ass fire extinguisher. Also will destroy any one in a water gun fight they will surrender.

96 Z34 3.4 SC DOHC Getrag, 284 5sd manual transmission, stage 3spec clutch, 97 engine, 97 pcm, S3 intercooler 1 of 1 Roots SC LQ1 in the world 8.5 psi.

Comment

that's actually pretty badass....

about how quickly does it pump 6 quarts into the engine at 60PSI?
                  1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
                  Latest nAst1 files here!
                  Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

1 or 2 min maybe?

96 Z34 3.4 SC DOHC Getrag, 284 5sd manual transmission, stage 3spec clutch, 97 engine, 97 pcm, S3 intercooler 1 of 1 Roots SC LQ1 in the world 8.5 psi.

Comment

so it floods the valve covers/cam carriers easily?

my LQ1 hasn't been started in almost 5 years, need all the help it can get.
                      Latest nAst1 files here!

Comment

It will get oil to every part of the engine.

Comment

hmm..... and with a 10 quart capacity, even northstars and other oil monstrosities can be fully pumped up before cranking....
                          Latest nAst1 files here!

Comment

3400-95-Modified, those are nice pics.

Comment

As the OP of this Topic, it has been ages (I know... but rumours of my Death have been Greatly Exaggerated)...since I touched upon the subject of “The Franken-Oiler Machine” as an alternative to having to use the Electric Drill Method on some Early Model V-6 Engines and more particularly to solve the impossible job of pre-oiling the latest crop of engines with hidden Gerotor Oil Pumps. I went through the same Trials and Tribulations I endured (and the readers suffered with) as when I was working on “The FrankInjector Machine” and ultimately… with the same good results in building something that might seem quite over-engineered but which works with such surprising performance and ease of use that all the hard work I put into it was eventually vindicated by what you will see in the attached images.

In a short while… I’ll produce a “Parts and Pieces” list for all of the working components and show some of the sub-assembly building of “The Franken-Framer” superstructure that really came in handy because of its stable and strong design and ease of construction. That part of “The Franken-Oiler Machine” is not absolutely required...but with either metal Washing Machine Adjustable Glides or even with Roller Bearing Wheels mounted on the Four Corners of the device… it makes it easy to roll around after setting up all the “Bits and Baubles and Wands from Olivander’s” like Hagrid told Harry all about on their stroll down Diagon Alley…. and which really “Puts the Music in The Machine” within this Device. By the way… even though I run this off of a very robust 12 VDC Power Supply… it will run just as well via a common 12 Volt Car or Truck Battery. Considering the modest pricing and good availability of the critical components... anyone can build this device and be very pleasantly surprised by its power, reliability, durability and performance.

Anyway… FWIW… Please enjoy:

“The Franken-Oiler Machine” ;>)

http://s557.photobucket.com/user/60d...?sort=3&page=1

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                              This gallery has 25 photos.
                              Last edited by 60dgrzbelow0; 11-13-2016, 10:51 PM.

Comment

• I was looking through all of the Text and Imagery that was the aetiology leading up to the completion of the Final Build of this Pre-Oiler Machine and I realized its complexity in trying to pull things out of it... So as long as it does not break any rules about mentioning other sites and forums... The complete story of how this thing evolved; including how all of the sub-assemblies came into being is available at this link. Eventually, I will transfer the sub-sets of the Imagery over to my Photobucket... but for now... this site has everything else related to the project.

FWIW… there is also much more incidental information about other basic and complex repairs to see and learn about as well that might prove interesting to any automotive enthusiast:

ENGINE SWAP: 2004 for 2002 GM ATLAS 4.2L MOTOR | GMTNation

• Edit
                                  • Flag
                                  • Like 0

Comment

Working...
                                X