camshaft posistion sensor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question : camshaft posistion sensor

i recently bought a 2000 montana with the 3.4. it needed the cam sensor replaced to get it pass emissions. the area where the sensor is was covered with power steering fluid for quite some time, and the sensor desinigrated when i took it out.the magnet fell down inside the hole, and i can not reach it. my question is does anyone know if i can access it by pulling of the timing cover and sprocket? otherwise id assume the whole motor would have to be pulled, and the cam taken out. and that would really suck to do again...
    "What in tarnation!"

I'd try using a magnet on a stick. Maybe you'll get lucky and hit north to south or south to north on the two magnets. If no luck remove the magnet from the stick and reverse it. Another idea is maybe a high suction vacuum from like a shop vac with a tiny wand attatched to it. Not familiar with a Montana but can the cam be brought out just far enough to reach the magnet? If the magnet is stuck to the cam it wont be that far in.

Good luck

Comment

This is the first complete Flexible Fiber Optic Scope and Camera Unit I've seen that plugs into either a laptop or a desktop via USB that is also available at a very reasonable price with free S&H, too. I'm sure it would have a lot of utility in situations like this ...as long as the head of the unit will fit down the hole being probed. If it works and you can spy the lost magnet and snag the damned thing... this device might save you the further expense of having to tear the motor apart to get at it.

Comment

thanks for the advice
        i ended up gettin that out with much aggrivation, i had to pull the intake off and i was able to stick a screwdriver in the oil drain in the lifter valley and i basically smashed it apart. using the shop vac and a claw tool i was able to recover all the pieces.
        im surprised this doesnt happen more becuase my brother attempted to take the sensor out of an old 3.1 i got sitting around and it broke off too, those things get very brittle.
        "What in tarnation!"

Comment

Working...
        X