No announcement yet.

#3 Misfire after LIM Change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I skimmed. Not sure if the answer to reusing the LIM gasket was answered, but yes, I've reused them before and it worked out fine. Also, is that orange DEXCOOL?
    -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
    91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
    92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
    94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
    Originally posted by Jay Leno
    Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

this really sucks for you man. i would just heli coil ever last f**king one, theres alot of stress on the rockers.
      Did you properly tourqe the LIMG in sequence? i thin kits 14INLB, 80INLB and 114INLB? i might be off a bit but its along those lines...

Its runs!!!>>>Aint No 60* Sound Like Mehttp://youtu.be/YKEmNwa141U

Comment

Originally posted by pocket-rocket View Post
        I skimmed. Not sure if the answer to reusing the LIM gasket was answered, but yes, I've reused them before and it worked out fine. Also, is that orange DEXCOOL?
        Yes orange GM DEXCOOL. Thats always been the way I've known it to be, but I'm only 23.
        The gaskets, after inspecting them still have a very rubber-like feel to them, they arent cracked or hardened, so I am going to re-use them. (just LIM, not the head)

Originally posted by bob442 View Post
        this really sucks for you man. i would just heli coil ever last f**king one, theres alot of stress on the rockers.
        Did you properly tourqe the LIMG in sequence? i thin kits 14INLB, 80INLB and 114INLB? i might be off a bit but its along those lines...
        I properly TQ'd it, cause this ported one that just came off ISNT cracked.
        It was my dads mechanic who cracked it, cause I had to do headgaskets 3 months later and I was pissed when I pulled it off.
        OLD ONE...
        Last edited by 02GT_Skyhigh; 02-06-2011, 03:17 PM.
        2002 GAGT
        - Street/Strip 3500 Heads - WOT-Tech Comp 3500 LIM - K&N Drop In - Magnaflow Cat and Muffler
        - Eibach Lowering Springs - Bridgestone Potenza 225/35/r16 - Drilled and Slotted Rotors - Ceramic Pads - KYB GR-2's
        - Big 3 Electrical Upgrade - Kicker SX650.1 Monoblock - Kicker CVX12"D4 Sub
        - Ported Box @ 1.88^ft to 34hZ - Alpine CDA-9884 - Cadence 6.5" Component's
        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/391881...am-gt-sedan-4d

Comment

Might want to update your thread over on GAGT.com, since they are still providing possible causes...
          -Brad-
          89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
          sigpic
          Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

well, guess he was taught "tighten till it strips, then back it of about a 1/4 turn"

Its runs!!!>>>Aint No 60* Sound Like Mehttp://youtu.be/YKEmNwa141U

Comment

Maybe he was waiting for the 'ping' you hear when you tighten your head down. lol
              This problem got way out of control, way fast. I think It broke cause as it got further into the head, the temp was hotter and hotter, it expanded and broke where it was still cold. I had a 30" floor fan laying in the engine bay prior to the 'surgery'.
              Since I'm getting a new helicoil set, I will have 10 coils. I'm just going to do the other 5 back there.
              I wish I had a TIG, I would put a short hollowed out bolt in there and weld that biach on there and back it out... Tomorrow it will be done.
              Updated the old thread to direct to the new one.
              2002 GAGT
              - Street/Strip 3500 Heads - WOT-Tech Comp 3500 LIM - K&N Drop In - Magnaflow Cat and Muffler
              - Eibach Lowering Springs - Bridgestone Potenza 225/35/r16 - Drilled and Slotted Rotors - Ceramic Pads - KYB GR-2's

Comment

I wonder if your helicoil set was dropped/abused before you got it. The taps are heat treated to be very hard and can be very brittle.
                1995 Grand Am SE

Comment

I dont think it was dropped, this is the re-placement set I got!

I think it broke for this reason VVV and also the fact the head was still fairly hot when i was tapping it.
                  The metal expanded at different rates and SNAP!
                  Im waiting to go to the machine shop (need a ride)
                  I think Im just going to do the other ones why I have the head off.

2002 GAGT

Comment

The reason I asked about the orange Dexcool is it's known to eat gaskets and it's not very good on bi-metallic engines (cast iron block/aluminum heads). When you get done putting the heads on, you might want to flush the cooling system and switch to the regular green stuff.
                    -60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

Originally posted by pocket-rocket View Post
                      The reason I asked about the orange Dexcool is it's known to eat gaskets and it's not very good on bi-metallic engines (cast iron block/aluminum heads). When you get done putting the heads on, you might want to flush the cooling system and switch to the regular green stuff.
                      I do not doubt you at all, I actually like the suggestion. I know you have to flush your system more regularly, but that would be ok to protect the integrity.
                      Can you link some info for me on this, I'm going to refine a search.
                      EDT**

Last edited by 02GT_Skyhigh; 02-07-2011, 04:55 PM.
                      2002 GAGT

Comment

FINALLY ITS OUT!!
                        I got a good referral and the guy did it in about 15 minutes and I gave him $20 so it worked out sweet! I helicoiled 3 more while I was back there.

I need 5 Qts of oil and an O-ring for the fuel rail. Got the LIM set so Ill be ready sor start-up tomorrow
                        Painted my UIM while I was waiting for a ride today!

Last edited by 02GT_Skyhigh; 02-07-2011, 11:59 PM. Reason: INTAKE PIC
                        2002 GAGT

Comment

Good deal! Glad to hear your luck is finally turning around. Nice job with the paint, too For the oil spots on the UIM, might I suggest some #0000 super fine steel wool and brake clean?
                          -60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

They are painted aluminum so break cleaner will wipe all that paint off too.
                            Ben
                            60DegreeV6.com
                            WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Finally got it all put back together, then changed the oil topped it off
                              with some Dex-cool... Yeah yeah, I know. I already had a back-up
                              Gallon of it, so in it went. When I was putting it all together, I soon
                              found out that the pulley tensioner threads were done also. I ran a
                              Helicoil in that one too. VERY very carefully! haha worked great!
                              I mixed a bead sized amount of JB Weld and rolled the outside of the helicoil
                              threads to 'help' then stick.
                              The engine cranked 2-3 seconds then fired RIGHT UP! What a RELEIF! It was nice
                              knowing some people knew the severity of my situation and I was able to vent on here!
                              So thanks! I hope this may help someone in the future or could be shown to help people
                              understand the importance of properly torquing bolts.
                              Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions and support.
                              -Skyler

2002 GAGT

Comment

Congrats. I'd go give the previous mechanic a swift kick in the nuts...

Droid via Tapatalk
                                -Brad-
                                89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
                                sigpic
                                Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

Working...
                                X