Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

97 Chevrolet Malibu not producing a spark...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question : 97 Chevrolet Malibu not producing a spark...

Hey, well this site has been helpful in so many times to me... But I have a problem now, that I havent seen asked yet... I have a 97 Chevy Malibu with the 3100 engine. The problem I am having is that it doesnt always produce a spark to the spark plugs when u start the engine after its been sitting for a while. Usually on the 3rd try, it cranks up fine. The only real test I have done so far is at the spark plug wires to determine if it is getting a spark at the none starting times. NO SPARK! The CE light isnt on, nor the security light... Has anybody ever experienced the same problem or know what further things I need to test to help pinpoint the exact problem? Thanks in advance...

icm? my 93 grand prix had that issue usualy took alot more then trys tho

Comment

Sorry, but I dont know all the lil abbreviations just yet - what does "ICM" mean? Ignition control module???... I will admit, its not my car, it belongs to a friend so it may be taking more tries, they are just estimating... So what did you do to fix the problem?

Comment

i know very very little about the 3500's the icm is connected to the coils on most gm fwd.. it is the ignition control modual. coils have 2 bolts percoil and the icm has a few bolts and 1 or 2 connectors... would get one form a junk yard for that matter 2 will cost much less then a new one

Comment

Welcome to the site. Yes, the ICM is the ignition control module, and it is what the coilpacks mount to. You can usually take them off and get them tested at an auto parts store. It could also be an issue with the crank position sensor (back side of the engine), as it is what provides the reference signal to the ICM to tell it when to fire which coil.
          -Brad-
          89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
          sigpic
          Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

Cool man, thanx... I have a Pull-A-Part right around the corner from me and they def have a lot of GM cars there. I will keep you posted on the outcome...

Comment

Originally posted by 69kustoms View Post
              The CE light isnt on, nor the security light... Has anybody ever experienced the same problem or know what further things I need to test to help pinpoint the exact problem? Thanks in advance...
              Next time it does it, check the PCM fuse for power. I wouldn't be shocked if your ignition switch is on its way out. Late model GM ignition switches seem to fail a bit.
              -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
              91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
              92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
              94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
              Originally posted by Jay Leno
              Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Ahh, good point. You really don't even need to check a fuse for power. Just listen to see if the fuel pump primes prior to starting the car. Turn the key to start (not run) and listen for the pump to run for 1-2 sec. If it doesn't, then there is a good chance the ignition switch is on its way out.
                -Brad-
                89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
                sigpic
                Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

Originally posted by bszopi View Post
                  Ahh, good point. You really don't even need to check a fuse for power. Just listen to see if the fuel pump primes prior to starting the car. Turn the key to start (not run) and listen for the pump to run for 1-2 sec. If it doesn't, then there is a good chance the ignition switch is on its way out.
                  Touche! I keep forgetting you won't hear the pump run if the switch is on its way out.
                  -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
                  91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
                  92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
                  94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
                  Originally posted by Jay Leno
                  Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Ok, thanks for all ur suggestions; I have replaced the ICM and coil packs, the car exhibited the same problems as b4 - now 4 days later, it wont start at all... I checked for power at the IGN fuse; good - the fuel pump primes; the injectors are opening while trying to start the car - I just cant get the spark plugs to fire... And again, there is no Security light, so I am assuming that its functioning properly... Besides the crankshaft position sensor (which I am not sure where its located), what else could be the problem... Again, thanx in advance...

Comment

There are only two things required for spark. You need power to the ICM and a signal from the CPS. The ICM 6 pin connector that runs to the ECM can even be disconnected and you will get spark as long as power and signal are there.

I would verify power and ground to the ICM while the key is on and during cranking. Since you changed the ICM I would assume you are not getting a signal from the CPS. Most likely the CPS is bad but I have seen loose connections not carry the signal to the ICM. The CPS is located on the middle rear of the block about 2" above the oil pan and is held in place with one bolt. They can sometimes be very difficult to pull out of the block.
                      MinusOne - 3100 - 4T60E
                      '79 MGB - LZ9 - T5
                      http://www.tcemotorsports.com
                      http://www.britishcarconversions.com/lx9-conversion

Comment

Working...
                      X