Timing chain replacement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question : Timing chain replacement?

I couldn't find this covered in detail anywhere so if this has already been discussed I'm sorry.

2004 Chevy Monte Carlo. 3.4L OHV

Nearing 100k. Ive heard timing chains stretching is a problem with these motors. First question being, at what point should one do the timing chain? 100? 150? I don't want to let it get too far because I've seen what broken timing belts have done on crappy imports. Second question being, what is involved in doing it? Can it be done in the car or should the motor be pulled?

it could be done in the car, but, i wouldnt do it that way, its a simple task to pull the motor. and much easier that way, plus other maintinance can be done easly (if need be) and as far as when to do them, if you keep up on your oil changes you will be fine for a long time, but if you like piece of mind i would suggest 120-150km mark. on a stock motor.
    with a cam, they dont last more than 1000km. i all cases replace with 99-pre timing chain over 2000+

Its runs!!!>>>Aint No 60* Sound Like Mehttp://youtu.be/YKEmNwa141U

Comment

I've never heard of one these timing chains break before. They just stretch to the point of skipping teeth and usually that's after a LOT of abusive miles or aggressive cam profiles + strong valvesprings. Mine has 223,000 km and it still holds fine but the loss of torque due to retarded valve timing is very noticeable.

I've seen them replaced in cars with much more cramped engine bays then your w-body. Just make sure you have the right tools and give yourself a lot of time to do it. If you do replace it, at least go with GM parts. The other brands (like Cloyes and Sealed Power) are inferior quality as some of the members here have unfortunately found out.
      Last edited by Azrael; 02-15-2011, 10:17 PM.
      1995 Grand Am SE

Comment

are you reffuring to your 95 TC? becaase thats twice the chain of a 00+ lol, mine had a little bit of play with 90000km and synthetic religous oil changes. it is possible to pull but i hate fumbling around with bolts in tight spaces, i pull trannies all day long so i would sooner pull the motor haha

Its runs!!!>>>Aint No 60* Sound Like Mehttp://youtu.be/YKEmNwa141U

Comment

Working...
        X