3.4 rocker arm bolt heli coil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question : 3.4 rocker arm bolt heli coil

the rocker arm threads for cylinder no. 5 on my moms venture pulled out. i read somewhere online the threads are an m10x1.25, but that is way to big. anybody know the thread size/pitch off hand? its a 2003 venture 3.4. thanks

Originally posted by 02GT_Skyhigh View Post
    Ok, purchased a Helicoil set for a 10mm 1.5 thread
    From this post:

Posted in this thread:

Although I do remember there being two different rocker bolt sizes, 10mm and 8mm. Not sure what the thread pitch would be on an 8mm. I would probably say 1.25 like the 10mm, but I would take the rocker arm in with you so they can get a thread pitch/bolt size off of it to be sure.
    -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
    91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
    92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
    94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
    Originally posted by Jay Leno
    Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

thanks. 8mm sounds right.

Comment

the left side rocker arm for cyl. no.5

the right side rocker for cyl. no. 5. and when i took this rocker arm bolt out the threads stripped out on the bolt, so i will probably have to helicoil this one too. i already got a new rocker arm and bolt, but i could not get the pushrod out of the rocker without breaking the end off.

Comment

Oh my gosh I am so sorry my friend! But I DO feel your pain! read my thread and I hope it helps!!
          Best of luck, PM me if you have and questions.
          2002 GAGT
          - Street/Strip 3500 Heads - WOT-Tech Comp 3500 LIM - K&N Drop In - Magnaflow Cat and Muffler
          - Eibach Lowering Springs - Bridgestone Potenza 225/35/r16 - Drilled and Slotted Rotors - Ceramic Pads - KYB GR-2's
          - Big 3 Electrical Upgrade - Kicker SX650.1 Monoblock - Kicker CVX12"D4 Sub
          - Ported Box @ 1.88^ft to 34hZ - Alpine CDA-9884 - Cadence 6.5" Component's
          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/391881...am-gt-sedan-4d

Comment

Originally posted by 02GT_Skyhigh View Post
            Oh my gosh I am so sorry my friend! But I DO feel your pain! read my thread and I hope it helps!!
            Best of luck, PM me if you have and questions.
            thanks. this happened to my moms van before on cylinder no. 3, but that was covered under warranty. i hope i can fit my drill under the cowl, i do not want to take the head off.

Comment

Originally posted by safarimike View Post
              thanks. this happened to my moms van before on cylinder no. 3, but that was covered under warranty. i hope i can fit my drill under the cowl, i do not want to take the head off.
              I had to helicoil the side of the head when I got back putting it all together. The threads for the pulley tensioner stripped as well. I couldnot fit my drill back in there and I had just put the while top-half back together.
              So what I did was use the bolt for that thread and tighened it down until I had 'cleared' the threads. I then used the Helicoil tap and ran it in 3/4 turn then cleared it out, then 3/4 turn in, then back out,.... It was slow going and tedious work, but not as bad as taking the whole motor apart. Just be very very careful if you try any above methods, If you break the Helicoil, your screwed.... lol
              2002 GAGT
              - Street/Strip 3500 Heads - WOT-Tech Comp 3500 LIM - K&N Drop In - Magnaflow Cat and Muffler
              - Eibach Lowering Springs - Bridgestone Potenza 225/35/r16 - Drilled and Slotted Rotors - Ceramic Pads - KYB GR-2's
              - Big 3 Electrical Upgrade - Kicker SX650.1 Monoblock - Kicker CVX12"D4 Sub
              - Ported Box @ 1.88^ft to 34hZ - Alpine CDA-9884 - Cadence 6.5" Component's
              http://www.cardomain.com/ride/391881...am-gt-sedan-4d

Comment

I've seen this happen on a few heads before... I just hope the 3500 ones are made just a little bit stronger... I have yet to have this happen, however I am helicoiling every single header bolt thread since those are getting worn out and ready to pull free. And yes motor is out since there would be no way in hell to do that in the car.

Got Lope?
                3500 Build, Comp XFI Cam 218/230 .050 dur .570/.568 lift 113LSA
                Fully Balanced, Ported, 3 Angle Valve Job, 65mm TCE TB, S&S Headers.
                Stage-1 Raybestos/Alto 4t60e-HD, EP LSD, 3.69FDR
                12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

I busted out two of them on my wife's grandmas '04 or so century I think it was.
                  I doobed and forgot to loctite one of the helicoils also.
                  That was about 5yrs ago,saw the car last week and still going strong.
                  My wife's aunt drives it now,it's got 150k+ on it with no issues

Comment

Working...
                  X