2005 3400 into 92 z24 - few problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2005 3400 into 92 z24 - few problems

Hello all. I tried to get an account on v6z24.com but they turned me down. Hopefully you guys can help me. I have a 3400 swapped into a 92 cavalier that is giving me a few problems. Going into the swap I never got to hear the Cavalier run or drive it. Oh how I wish I had insisted on this. But it had a blown head gasket and had been sitting for a couple years. Never again will I make this mistake. Anyway here's a list of the problems.

Lessor problems.

1)
    Speedometer thinks I'm going far faster then I really am. I can hit the peg in second gear. By the rate my odometer goes at 70mph it thinks I'm going roughly 400mph.

2)
    Oil pressure is constantly pegged while running - I believe I need to use the 3.1 oil sensor, right now I'm running on the 3400's.

Main problems.

1)
    Sometimes the car will die when the load is taken off the motor. It will also sometimes die if a load is applied while at idle.

For instance if I have to stop suddenly and push the clutch in it will die. If I'm maneuvering in a parking lot and pull into a parking spot at low speed. The load from the power steering pump is enough to kill it.

Sometimes the IAC will attempt to control the dieing. With the rpms shooting up to 2k+ then falling back to 500. Only to shoot up again several times before settling in around 1k. Other times it will die with no attempt to self correct.

2)
    Once in closed loop the car loses a large amount of power at roughly 3200 rpm. It is like hitting a wall, but only in closed loop. If the car is in open loop it will run strongly up to 5500 rpm.

3)
    I have yet to measure it as my odometer doesn't work, but my fuel mileage is awful. I believe I'm getting less then 20 on the highway.

Stuff I know.
    The car is running the WOT-Tech chip. All sensors looked good on a snap-on mt2500 scanner. I didn't have too long to play with it as I had to leave. I haven't been back home to hook it back up. I have not scanned it while driving and hitting the 3200 wall. There are no check engine codes.
    Last edited by E.S.; 02-28-2012, 07:15 PM.

Your speedo code is wrong. I should have used the exact same code as you supplied with the order, but I don't know who you are to look that up.
    Ben
    60DegreeV6.com
    WOT-Tech.com

Comment

V6Z24 didn't turn you down, the admin has been busy and got a little behind on approving new users.

What username did you register with?
      Past Builds;
      1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
      1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
      Current Project;
      1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

Originally posted by SappySE107 View Post
        Your speedo code is wrong. I should have used the exact same code as you supplied with the order, but I don't know who you are to look that up.
        I'll PM you with contact details.

Originally posted by Superdave View Post
        V6Z24 didn't turn you down, the admin has been busy and got a little behind on approving new users.

What username did you register with?
        No I received an email back stating they didn't think I was a real person. I would have to dig the email up to get the exact wording. Name was probably similar to what I have on here.

Comment

Alright, installed a new chip this weekend. Thank you Ben at WOT Tech. Down to just two issues. The oil pressure, which I think I know the solution to and the closed loop power loss. I still haven't been able to scan the car going up the road. I couldn't find a volunteer to ride along and watch the scanner. I'll get it properly scanned in a couple weeks. Just having it idle properly everywhere makes it like getting a new car.

Comment

you need to run the old 3.1 sensor for the gauge to work, the 3400 one is just a pressure switch for a dummy light.

Is the CPS new and the harness un-modified?
            Past Builds;
            1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
            1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
            Current Project;
            1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

Using the CPS that came with the 3400. I don't believe that section of harness was modified. Isn't that just a two wire loom that runs from the sensor up to the module?

I thought that was the case with the oil sensor. I'm not sure where the 3.1 oil filter adapter went. Hopefully it's still around the shop somewhere.

Comment

Working...
              X