Cleaning cast aluminum parts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning cast aluminum parts...

I don't have access to a blasting machine or a hot tank, what is the best solution for cleaning the inside of an intake manifold? The 3500 I bought is pretty dark inside... stupid EGR and PCV.

Also does anyone have a good example of a catch can system being used with the 60* PCV system? If I can get it clean, I'd like to keep it that way.
    sigpic

"When you don't do anything, you have plenty of time to post questions that don't mean anything tomorrow."
    - Ben

purple power?

seems to work pretty well for me.
    1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
    Latest nAst1 files here!
    Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Purple power will discolor aluminum if it soaks though, just be aware of that.

Got Lope?
      3500 Build, Comp XFI Cam 218/230 .050 dur .570/.568 lift 113LSA
      Fully Balanced, Ported, 3 Angle Valve Job, 65mm TCE TB, S&S Headers.
      Stage-1 Raybestos/Alto 4t60e-HD, EP LSD, 3.69FDR
      12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

Formula 88 overnight- if you can find it at a local retailer. That stuff made it look like I had hot tanked some stuff with heavy carbon/nastiness after sitting for a few days.
        -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
        91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
        92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
        94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
        Originally posted by Jay Leno
        Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Originally posted by pocket-rocket View Post
          Formula 88 overnight- if you can find it at a local retailer. That stuff made it look like I had hot tanked some stuff with heavy carbon/nastiness after sitting for a few days.
          Can you direct us a link online for purchasing? I always have a hard time finding that stuff.
          Lifting my front wheels, one jack at a time.

Comment

Orange citrus degreaser works for me. Home Depot sells it by the gallon. I scrub/soak with that and then rinse. It brightens and cleans.

Comment

Oven cleaner will work well too

Comment

oven cleaner is a no no on aluminum, unless you dont mind it pitting

Comment

Originally posted by 1988GTU View Post
                  Can you direct us a link online for purchasing? I always have a hard time finding that stuff.

Although the brick and mortar stores they "claim" to sell at are:

I use the term claim because I have a hard time finding it around here too. Only found it once at Lowe's and haven't seen it since.
                  -60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

Originally posted by boomofdoom88 View Post
                    oven cleaner is a no no on aluminum, unless you dont mind it pitting
                    I use it all the time, works great to remove carbon. Just don't let it sit on there.

you will need a long bottle brush for the inside though.

BTW, a machine shop would charge like $10 to boil a UIM and it would be done in an hour or so.
                    Past Builds;
                    1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
                    1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
                    Current Project;
                    1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

So the Formula88 won't cause discoloration?
                      sigpic

"When you don't do anything, you have plenty of time to post questions that don't mean anything tomorrow."
                      - Ben

Comment

It left a flakey powdery substance on the heads I left in for 2 weeks. They were a bad set to start with so I didn't really care about them. The 96 DOHC UIM I left in there went from being all carboned up to being perfectly clean inside in a couple days and it didn't discolor. I can get pics if you like. There is still a carbon line in the center because I didn't have enough cleaner to reach that high up in the tub I had it in.
                        -60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

the line in the center should be an interesting contrast.
                          1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
                          Latest nAst1 files here!
                          Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by robertisaar View Post
                            the line in the center should be an interesting contrast.
                            It is, lol. It's like a carbon racing stripe that goes from the drivers side to passenger side since I had it laying flat in the tub

On the more serious note, it also shows how well the Formula 88 worked after a day or two of soaking and -0- scrubbing. I didn't touch it once I tossed it in there until I pulled it out to flip it over.
                            -60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

Pics would be cool... carbon racing stripe
                              sigpic

- Ben

Comment

Working...
                              X