07 G6 3500 LX4 engine stumbles before downshifting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question : 07 G6 3500 LX4 engine stumbles before downshifting

I'm new here and have been all over the web looking for someone with the same problem. I have also posted on the G6ownersclub website. Here is what is happening...
    I have an 07 G6 with the LX4 VVT engine in it. It has 93k on it. It seems to have very little power on the low end. In fact... until I get it wound up I think my junker 1.9 L SOHC saturn would take it and the transmission is all but out on the Saturn! It takes off in second gear.
    Anyway, the G6 idles smooth, there is no light and no codes. I have had to to my local mechanic and the dealer and no one knows what is wrong. It seems better sometimes but then other times it is so bad that I'm unable to use my cruise control. If I set my cruise at 65 on the hwy it will bog down to under 60 on a small incline then start to shake a bit...then BAM it takes off flying like a bat outta (you know what) and goes all the way up to 70 + then slowly settles back down. Then the cycle starts all over again. If I drive it with my foot it I can do better but I sometimes have to push the accerator almost 1/2 why down to get it to stop shaking and downshift. It is like driving a 4 cyl 5 speed on a hill and you need to downshift but don't..makes the engine sort of chug. It does not have much low end power at all and feeling like I'm driving a wheezey old datsun or something. My aunt has basicly the same car (2010 Malibu) with the 4 cyl in it and it runs MUCH better than my LX4 and she gets like 35mpg. If I can't get this figured out I'm going to trade it for a 4cyl.
    Does anyone have any ideas? I have already put new plugs and wires on with no change at all. Just drove it on a 2500 mile trip on vacation per dealer suggestion to see if the light would come on and nothing. Still runs like crap.
    Thanks for any help anyone can give me.
    Rob
    Last edited by fritcr; 02-15-2013, 04:01 PM.

It sounds to me like the VVT isn't functioning properly. Does it have lots of power when revved up?
    '89 Firebird, 3500 Turbo, T56, 9-bolt/4.11
    '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

Originally posted by caffeine View Post
      It sounds to me like the VVT isn't functioning properly. Does it have lots of power when revved up?
      Yes it has lots of power when revved up good. It will GO but you have to keep it revved up pretty high...once it settles back down to just normal driving it has no power it is like driving a metro automatic or something. Does anyone know anything about the vvt or how it works...what goes wrong etc?

Comment

I'm shocked the dealer hasn't kept it and driven around with a TECH2 on it watching vitals.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
        -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
        91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
        92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
        94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
        Originally posted by Jay Leno
        Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Originally posted by fritcr View Post
          Yes it has lots of power when revved up good. It will GO but you have to keep it revved up pretty high...once it settles back down to just normal driving it has no power it is like driving a metro automatic or something. Does anyone know anything about the vvt or how it works...what goes wrong etc?
          I think the VVT operates using oil pressure and is controlled by the PCM. Sure sounds like the problem is VVT related but hard to pinpoint the problem over the Internet. I'm shocked the dealer can't figure out what is wrong...
          '89 Firebird, 3500 Turbo, T56, 9-bolt/4.11
          '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

Did you check simple things like the coil packs, fuel pressure, oil pressure. Probably something small causing big problems

Comment

Working...
            X