Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question : Honing question for a 3.4L PR

Hi,

I'm new to rebuilding and have a question on honing my 3.4L. How much can I hone before I need to replace the pistons with larger pistons? If I have to replace the pistons, whats a good source for them?

FYI: 3.4L is for a '88 Fiero GT project.

Thanks,
    Nick
    Nick D.
    '88 Fiero GT 5-spd

You said 3.4l, so I'm assuming RWD and not the FWD 3400.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
    91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
    92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
    94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
    Originally posted by Jay Leno
    Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

why are people calling it a 3.4 PR all of a sudden? Is it a Fiero forum thing?

It's easier to denote it as either an iron head 3.4 (gen 1) or an aluminum head 3400 (3.4L) Gen 3.. or even as a FWD (Aluminum head) engine or RWD (iron head) engine.

Honing doesn't remove much material if done correctly, it's just there to create a surface for the rings to break in to. Honing for too long can distort the bore and you'll have all kinds of problems. Chances are that you'll also have to ream the ridge at the top of the cylinder. If it's too bad you'll break the top rings and the pistons.

Take it to a machine shop and have them measure the bore, roundness and cylinder taper. They'll tell you if it's OK just to hone/re-ring or if it needs an overbore to get the cylinders round/clean again. This is a good place to spend your money, don't cheap out and assume everything is ok.
      Past Builds;
      1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
      1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
      Current Project;
      1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

It probably is a Fiero forum thing... random new users say all kinds of things, like 3400DOHC and 3.4 PR. They also tend to consider Gen 2 and 3 AL heads as the same animal.

Not everyone does it, mind you, but I got tired of, and I think some negs(forum member ratings) from, pointing out the differences all the time. Like, "Shut up fat kid! We don't care!"
        sigpic

"When you don't do anything, you have plenty of time to post questions that don't mean anything tomorrow."
        - Ben

Comment

Originally posted by Superdave View Post
          Honing doesn't remove much material if done correctly, it's just there to create a surface for the rings to break in to. Honing for too long can distort the bore and you'll have all kinds of problems.

Take it to a machine shop and have them measure the bore, roundness and cylinder taper. They'll tell you if it's OK just to hone/re-ring or if it needs an overbore to get the cylinders round/clean again. This is a good place to spend your money, don't cheap out and assume everything is ok.
          ^^^ This.

I'll admit, I made the dumb mistake of assuming when I didn't have the correct measurement tools once. Luckily it was one of our cars and not one I was working on for someone.

I assumed since it sounded fine when it broke down (timing belt) that cylinder to bore clearances were fine and just broke the glaze off the bores. Come to find out they weren't and the thing had piston slap and used oil after that. Most likely it wasn't as quiet as I thought before hand since it wasn't my daily, but my wife's, but in the end it was a big lesson learned.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
          -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
          91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
          92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
          94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
          Originally posted by Jay Leno
          Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Working...
          X