A/C compressor acting weird

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A/C compressor acting weird

Hey everybody, well summer is here down here in Arkansas and it's getting hot, I bought a can of AC Pro in the black can, and was going to recharge my system. The can said to put half a can in it to activate the compressor, and then based on ambient temperature fill the system the rest of the way up. well I put half a can in it and the compressor came on twice for about a second each time and now the compressor won't come on at all, I know I didn't overcharge the system cuz the gauge was reading right in the green area. So could somebody please point me in the right direction cuz I don't wanna spend 200 dollars on a new compressor if that's not it.
    Any and all help would be greatly appreciated
    Thanx!!!!
    1994 Chevy Beretta Z26
    CAI
    180 degree thermostat
    high flow muffler
    3400 V6 Throttle Body

sigpic

Originally posted by BerettaZ26 View Post
    Hey everybody, well summer is here down here in Arkansas and it's getting hot, I bought a can of AC Pro in the black can, and was going to recharge my system. The can said to put half a can in it to activate the compressor, and then based on ambient temperature fill the system the rest of the way up. well I put half a can in it and the compressor came on twice for about a second each time and now the compressor won't come on at all, I know I didn't overcharge the system cuz the gauge was reading right in the green area. So could somebody please point me in the right direction cuz I don't wanna spend 200 dollars on a new compressor if that's not it.
    Any and all help would be greatly appreciated
    Thanx!!!!
    That's not cool, at all.
    Did it leak back out?
    Lifting my front wheels, one jack at a time.

Comment

Sometimes you have to charge the system with the compressor off. I really don't know how to say it. It's like there is just enough charge to get the compressor to turn on. Once it does the system opens up and then the charge is too low. With the compressor off the gauge should read in the over charge area(not maxing out the gauge though).
      Keep shaking the can and filling until you get past the full charge. Then turn on the AC and see if the compressor turns on. It should come on, then you must have the RPM close to 2k or right at 2k. Then it should start taking a true charge. If the system was(and I bet it is) too low then it's going to take 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cans.
      The main problem is that there is a leak in the system somewhere. Those cans do have a stop leak in them and sometimes you can get lucky. If not you are wasting money until the leak is fixed. Most of the time it's just an O-ring.

Side note: They do sell a dye that you don't need UV glasses for. That can help you find where it's leaking at. The problem is that if there was a leak there should be air in the system. The only way to get that out it to remove everything in the system. Fix the leak(s) and use a vacuum pump to clear the system. Then you would need to refill the system and have the correct amount of compressor oil(too much is a bad thing and those cans do have compressor oil in them).
      Really the best thing to do is take it to a shop if you think(or know) that it's leaking.
      With 134a you are somewhat ok, with R22 there is a good sized fine if your caught releasing it. That is if you are trained in AC systems.
      Last edited by Purple pit; 06-17-2014, 07:21 PM.
      95 Beretta 3100 with 3400 intakes and TCE TB
      High flow cat and a Magnaflow muffler
      Grand Prix trans with 3.33FDR

Comment

Working...
      X